+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Clicky hip @ 6 week check

Hi Mums,

Anyone out there have a bub that had clicky hips at their 6 week check and everything turn out ok?

GP has sent us for an ultrasound which we can’t get until Monday.

We also have a paed appointment booked for a few weeks to check this and a few other things.

How urgent is it for bubs to get put into a brace if the ultrasound shows she needs one? I’m not sure I want to wait a few weeks for these results..... not sure why but there always seems to be a wait to get into see a paed around here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter had a routine hip ultrasound at 6 weeks due to her being breech.

I was given the results on the spot and she was in a brace (Pavlic Harness) a couple of days later as her hips were abnormal. The brace was fitted by a physio at the hospital she was born in and she had to see an orthopaedic surgeon. She didn't need to see a paed at all. We would have needed a referral from the GP to see the surgeon.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 13-09-2019 at 18:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @SSecret Squirrel. Hopefully we will get the results on the spot! 2 weeks seems like a long wait if something is wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    Thanks @SSecret Squirrel. Hopefully we will get the results on the spot! 2 weeks seems like a long wait if something is wrong!
    Definitely. I could be wrong, but I think they need to act quickly as the younger they are when treatment commences the better the outcomes in terms of reduced treatment time.

My thoughts are based on pure anecdata. DD was diagnosed and treated at 6 weeks of age and spent 3 months in the harness. I know someone whose child wasn't diagnosed until older - about 4 months and was in a harness close to age one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah thanks, I think I’ll go back to GP to discuss results whilst waiting for paed appointment then. That way if they do find something I’m hoping he can get us an appointment sooner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had assymetric leg creases picked up by MCHN. On ultrasound, one hip joint was borderline shallower then the other. It was monitored by ultrasound over several visits (maybe 3?) and in the end, resolved on its own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 3 month old was breach, so we had the standard ultrasound at 6 weeks.

Ours was done by the pediatrician in the room.

We got the results on the spot. His right socket was " immature", which from my understanding meant shallow. But the bone was well into the socket, and stable.

The paed said he didn't feel we needed treatment at that point, but that we should keep an eye on it. It could have righted itself with a few more weeks... he said take care of his hips. Encourage the frog-legged position. Don't wrap the legs tight (not a problem, we use love to dream swaddles which are endorsed by the hip dysplasia people (can't remember their name), and the ergo which is known to support proper hip positioning.
    I also let him sleep on his tummy - on my chest during the day - because he naturally laid like a frog.

We went back 6 weeks later for a repeat ultrasound and it was much much better. Still "slightly rounded" but it made dramatic improvements, and again he felt no need for treatment. He wasn't concerned at all.

I did ask what issues could it cause later on if we aren't treating it, and he assured me given how my son is, he won't have issues.

To be 100% sure: he wanted to see us at 8/9 months to follow it up, and if its normal then.... We get the all clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SJ565 did your dd have a click too?
    @shadowangel0205 so glad so far everything is ok. Sounds like your paed is keeping a good eye on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @shadowangel0205 so glad so far everything is ok. Sounds like your paed is keeping a good eye on it!
    Unfortunately it's hard to remember- she's more 3 1/2. The more I think of it, the more I think she did...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. I am happy with him. I was anxious and my heart sank when he said there was issues but happy for the follow ups.

Our MCHN *thought* she heard/ felt a click in the same hip the paed says is immature (only his right) but paed said physical exam was fine. When she was checking, he was not cooperating at all in fact he was protesting quite loudly.

I hope everything works out for your bubba