+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default how to add a pumping session to an ebf baby’s schedule

not even sure i’m wording this correctly but basically, dd is boob fed only. she’s 4.5 months so my supply has settled down and i don’t have any excess to pump and stash. my frozen stash from those early days of oversupply is quickly dwindling.

i’m returning to work in feb and would like to introduce a bottle (or some other means of feeding her) before then. she took a bottle right after birth as she wasn’t bf very well but she’s been boob fed pretty much since 2-3 weeks of age. i’ve stopped giving her a bottle ages ago and any excess was stored and frozen.

i’d now like to pump once a day to build up my stash so i can give her one bottle feed of
    ebm per day. she’s stopped taking a bottle and this past week we’ve had guests and been out and about, and i don’t always feel like getting my boobs out to feed/would be nice for someone else to feed her and give me a break. problem is, she just gnaws at the bottle teat/pushes it out with her tongue. i was able to give her a bottle by bf her then slipping the bottle in mid-feed. but this has only worked for me, and only at home. which defeats the purpose of the exercise.

what do i need to do to pump say 100ml extra in addition to feeding her myself? i tried expressing on sunday and got a measly 40ml and this was both boobs and i spent a good 20 mins at it. i used to get 5 x that in half the time in the early days.

please help! thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pumped for work with ds1. He was a good sleeper & would go from 7-1 so I would pump before I went to bed around 9.30-10ish, essentially creating another feed. As with everything bf it’s supply and demand so it will take a few days to increase volume.
    You will always get more milk of a morning due to the overnight hormone boost, but that was the time that worked for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (13-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    thanks. she’s waking every 2 hours overnight currently (4 month sleep regression) which means there’s not much scope to pump overnight or morning. she was previously sleeping through so i used to wake up quite full, feed her off one side and express the other.

she’s doing longer day naps now so next week i might look at pumping during one of those naps and trying to “add” a feed that way. preferably morning as you say, more supply there then in the arvo.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (13-09-2019),Twinkletoes Sparklebutt (13-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you’ve got time in the morning try pumping after the first feed. She might not be emptying you fully at the first day feed if she’s feeding 2hrly overnight. I always found morning pumping sessions hard to fit in though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would also suggest to pump after the morning feed. I did that this morning on the side he didn't take, for about 5 mins, and then another 5 on the side he *did* take. Got 60mls. Think if I did it regularly, and just the full side, supply would ramp back up again.
    I did it sitting at the kitchen table supervising DDs breakfast- Baby J was having a kick about on the mat at the time. My other option would be to pump while feeding off the other side, but I'm not coordinated enough to do that at this stage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    so i managed to squeeze in a quick pump just before. was feeling slightly full so figured why not. ended up with 100ml after maybe 10-15 max of pumping which i’m pleased with. planning to start solids properly once she’s up from her nap and want some ebm to thin the sweet potato out a bit. plus the leftovers dh can give her in a bottle later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to feed on one side and pump on the other at the same time, in an early morning feed. I could fill a bottle feeding and pumping at the same time because the baby was stimuating the let downs. I did not feel I had a shortfall in my supply at the end of the day using this method - wasn't a regular thing though - more as needed if I happened to be going out and not taking the baby and wanted to build up a stash in my absence.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (15-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried a haakaa???

I used to spend from 30mins, up to an hour every 3 hours pumping only to average 30ml from BOTH sides (felt pointless)...
    I knew I wouldn't have time to pump this time around. (I hired one initially. $80 for the month plus $30 for the pump kit and used it 3 times)
    I got a cheap knock off haakaa from eBay for $6, delivered. I pop it on the side I'm not feeding from In the morning and it catches the letdown. I get near 30ml in the morning, for no extra time or effort.... from one side only.

I think I searched silicon breast pump.

Otherwise, I'd try finding a time dd had a long stretch and pump then. You could try power pumping at the same time daily too.

You've said you only feed dd from one side each feed? You could just pump while feeding too instead of trying to add an extra one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don’t have that leakage from the non-feeding side anymore. in the early days i did a bit (had it most with ds in the early days) but not really anymore.

i’m way too uncoordinated to pump and feed at the same time my luck dd would lift her foot for a random kick and the whole set up would go flying 🤣

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    i don’t have that leakage from the non-feeding side anymore. in the early days i did a bit (had it most with ds in the early days) but not really anymore.

i’m way too uncoordinated to pump and feed at the same time my luck dd would lift her foot for a random kick and the whole set up would go flying 🤣
    I don't leak I've never worn breast pads this time around.

Sorry, I lie. I've leaked once or twice randomly but in general no. The haakaa suctions on so creates a vacuum type seal to draw it out. I was so amazed by how well it worked for me given my issues
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 15-09-2019 at 13:43.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

stacey10 (15-09-2019),turquoisecoast (15-09-2019)