+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default wwyd - baby poop and vaccines

Hoping someone has some insight or similar experience...

My almost seven week old baby (breastfed) has had green poos the last couple of days. Sometimes watery, sometimes not, mostly yellowish-green and sometimes a more pronounced green. Prior to this they've always been just yellow.
    She doesn't seem dehydrated (I'm taking her to see a Dr just in case later today), has wet nappies and seems happy if maybe a tiny bit sleepier than usual during the day. She sleeps well at night. When it started it seemed like she had tummy cramps one evening, but not anymore. Her older sister had a tummy bug earlier this week (no pain, mild diarrhea for two days the only symptom) so maybe it's that?

But she's meant to have her first lot of vaccinations in a few days. I'm guessing that the Dr will say it's fine to go ahead, but I'm concerned about giving her vaccines, particularly the live rotavirus vaccine (which can cause diarrhea) if her gut isn't 100%.

Anyone had a similar experience? Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default wwyd - baby poop and vaccines

Frothy/mucousy green? Possibly a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance... I would try block feeding and see if anything changes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

Blossom74 (14-09-2019),Kalina (14-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletoes Sparklebutt View Post
    Frothy/mucousy green? Possibly a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance... I would try block feeding and see if anything changes.
    Thank you for replying. Definitely not frothy, sometimes a bit mucousy. They've been yellowish-green for the last 24hrs. Dr I saw didn't seem concerned since they're not copious and she seems happy, but I don't know. 90% of the time she nurses on only one side at a time. I offer fairly regularly so half the time she's not properly hungry before going on, thinking that maybe I should only offer when she asks for milk, she might her more hindmilk that way, if that's the issue. Also, DD1's poos are still a bit soft so maybe it is a virus after all.
    Dr said to go ahead with the vaccinations on Monday irrespective. Still deciding whether to wait a few days longer.
    Last edited by Kalina; 14-09-2019 at 05:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She may have a touch of the virus or if you’re offering too frequently she may just be snacking on foremilk. I would try stretching her feeds to 2-3hrly (unless she’s demanding it of course) & starting on the breast you finished on. If she’s only having one side at a time, feed off one side for two feeds & hand express for comfort on the other if needed.
    Gp’s can be a bit hit & miss with bf advice, I’ve have had more success with mchn & lactation consultants.
    Don’t stress too much though, you’re doing a great job!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

Kalina (14-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I believe the foremilk thing has been debunked and block feeding isn't recommended unless under the guidance of an IBCLC as it had drop your supply significantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I believe the foremilk thing has been debunked and block feeding isn't recommended unless under the guidance of an IBCLC as it had drop your supply significantly.
    really?? i’ve been block feeding dd since birth. i don’t usually offer both boobs at each feed, just feed her off one side for one feed then offer other side next feed. am i doing this bf thing wrong!?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Kalina (14-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    really?? i’ve been block feeding dd since birth. i don’t usually offer both boobs at each feed, just feed her off one side for one feed then offer other side next feed. am i doing this bf thing wrong!?
    If it's working, if dd is happy, healthy, gaining, enough wet/ dirty nappies, meeting milestones: roll with it.

There's no right or wrong way to breastfeed in general. Only what's right or wrong for each individual mum and bub (and for mum's, it can be different again for every bub)

There are ways to help correct issues with mum/bub... but they're irrelevant to those without that particular issue.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (14-09-2019),Purple Poppy (14-09-2019),turquoisecoast (14-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She may have a touch of the virus or if you’re offering too frequently she may just be snacking on foremilk. I would try stretching her feeds to 2-3hrly (unless she’s demanding it of course) & starting on the breast you finished on. If she’s only having one side at a time, feed off one side for two feeds & hand express for comfort on the other if needed.
    Gp’s can be a bit hit & miss with bf advice, I’ve have had more success with mchn & lactation consultants.
    Don’t stress too much though, you’re doing a great job!
    Thanks . I do love how having babies makes talking about poop both genuinely fascinating and entirely socially acceptable..........
    Today her poop was back to yellow this morning so fx it stays that way, still see tomorrow.
    Interesting though - my usual supply suddenly dropped today (putting this down to getting close to no sleep last night and an extremely stressful - not baby related thankfully - and prolonged visit to a&e......and anyway, she nursed for much longer than usual to get her milk, so would have have lots of the fatty stuff today.

I think milk just changes gradually from more watery to more fatty as a nursing session goes - assumed hindmilk just meant the milk you get with repeated letdown once they drink the initial stuff (that's the medical term for it)....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    I think milk just changes gradually from more watery to more fatty as a nursing session goes - assumed hindmilk just meant the milk you get with repeated letdown once they drink the initial stuff (that's the medical term for it)....
    Yep, you're right. Medical terminology aside, there's no set point milk suddenly swaps from fore to hind. Rather it's a gradual change as bub feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    No wrong way really. You must have a great supply.