+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone have mechanic DH’s?

Long story short....

DP car has been away for almost 3 weeks due to a not at fault crash which required repairs to the exterior of the vehicle only. It was returned today and our DS’s car seat is facing the wrong way and not even secure.

Is there any valid explanation why a car seat needs to be removed?

Just checking before I put my foot in it with the insurer
    Last edited by Loh4; 12-09-2019 at 18:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    Long story short....

DP car has been away for almost 3 weeks due to a not at fault crash which required repairs to the exterior of the vehicle only. It was returned today and our DS’s car seat is facing the wrong way and not even secure.

Is there any valid explanation why a car seat needs to be removed?

Just checking before I put my foot in it with the insurer
    Was there damage to the sides (doors or quarter panels) at all? They may have needed to remove the interior linings to push panels out from the inside. They may have removed the seat so they could sit to do this.

Alternatively, if there was any work done to the main structure to the rear of the car this could have affected the tether attachment depending on where that goes. So that's another option.

Finally, they may have just decided its best to remove it when spraying as they didn't want to risk getting those toxic paint fumes on the seat.

Whatever it was, I'm guessing if they're not qualified installers they didn't want to reinstall it (as liability would be on them if they did it wrong) so left it backwards so it was glaringly obvious that it was not hooked up. (Good idea, I quickly threw the car seat back into DH's car once after we'd taken it out to fit something bulky. He didn't realise and drove around for about a week with it untethered - only a couple of trips with DS in there, but that's a couple too many with an unsafe seat!)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don’t get the issue... can’t you just re-install it? There would be many reasons why it may have been removed. I’ve even had mine removed when I’ve had my car serviced. They may have even just removed it to clean the interior or the car.

They won’t reinstall it in case they don’t do it correctly as PP said and they leave it obviously uninstalled.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 13-09-2019 at 05:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im also not understanding the issue. They wouldn't reinstall it incase they did it wrong.
    Just put it back in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

1. The repairs were not even done by the mechanic where it was
    2. The repair was changing one rim and doing powder coating on a compartment which was removed from the vehicle and sent elsewhere to be completed, it’s a Ute and they couldn’t access any of the damage from inside the vehicle
    3. No cleaning has been done inside vehicle
    4. At least 100km that have been put on the vehicle while not with us and it was towed between garages
    5. The car seat was fitted rearward facing and it has been returned forward facing and installed incorrectly

I guess I just have a lot more anxiety than others with this type of thing, given the circumstances they would have no reason in my mind to touch it let alone put it from a rear facing position to forward facing.

We cant just put it back in correctly as the extension that we had to pay for when getting it fitted originally isn’t there to put it back to rear facing.
    Last edited by Loh4; 13-09-2019 at 06:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not answering your question, but have you checked with your car seat manufacturer and insurance company that the car seat is still safe to use after the accident?

Car seats need to be replaced after most accidents as the shell may have been weakened in the impact. The cost is generally covered by insurance.

ETA the insurance company may try to say that it's still safe, so request that they eother put that in writing for you, or cover the cost of a replacement. It's highly unlikely they will do so, because they can't accurately say it's safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (13-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of the other things mentioned are more the issue than the car seat being uninstalled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the car seat was installed during the accident it needs to be disposed of and never used.
    Most insurance claims cover car seats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally it wouldn’t bother me. I’d just reinstall the seat but after as accident as already stated it should be replaced anyways

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (13-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's certainly strange that they've been messing about inside the car, and that the extension strap is missing. Could it be under the seat?
    If the seat is a Maxi Cosi, they will replace free of charge after an accident.
    But I would be wondering too why it would appear the car has been used. The car seat is just a clue