+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When is thick too thick?

Hey wise ones,

I have DD4 from my first ICSI and am now trying for #2.

DD was from a freeze all batch and she was an FET with a programmed cycle ( oestrogen tablets from CD1 and 3 pessaries a day after ovulation).

With DD my lining was 11mm just before transfer.

For #2 I’ve had 2 x FET’s and 2 x chemical pregnancies with a natural cycle ( only Letrozole to ovulate and 1x pessary ) and a lining was 15mm both times.

I’m now going into my third FET and I’ve just found out that my lining is 15.87mm so nearly 16mm!

I was just wondering, when is thick too thick?

Has anyone have any previous chats with their FS’s about this?

My next FS appt isn’t until October and I’ll be certainly asking to have a programmed cycle again although I’m now wondering if transferring is even a good idea now?

Thanks so much in advance.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 10-09-2019 at 08:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I have no experience but after a quick google it seems a super thick lining is still unknown, as some fs believing it can actually be too thick for implantation and I saw posts from women whose transfer has been cancelled due to lining being too thick (16mm) but some fs not seeing it as an issue. You’re probably best to call your clinic and speak with the nurses, they should explain it all to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumma2be13 View Post
    Hi! I have no experience but after a quick google it seems a super thick lining is still unknown, as some fs believing it can actually be too thick for implantation and I saw posts from women whose transfer has been cancelled due to lining being too thick (16mm) but some fs not seeing it as an issue. You’re probably best to call your clinic and speak with the nurses, they should explain it all to you
    Ah, interesting. Thanks!
    Yep, definitely going to bring it up with the nurses when they call me with results later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @amiracle4me, I did actually research it (from scientific journal articles) and it was about 12mm, it should be about 8-12mm. Don't be rushed into the transfer, as it could just be another wasted opportunity, etc. If your FS can't tell you what best practice is, and why they are going ahead this time, then perhaps consider getting a second opinion with someone on the ball.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default When is thick too thick?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
    Hi @amiracle4me, I did actually research it (from scientific journal articles) and it was about 12mm, it should be about 8-12mm. Don't be rushed into the transfer, as it could just be another wasted opportunity, etc. If your FS can't tell you what best practice is, and why they are going ahead this time, then perhaps consider getting a second opinion with someone on the ball.
    Hi @Frankie1, thanks for your message. I agree. All the journals I’ve read say optimum is between 9-14mm. Today my lining was 15.87mm, really thick. The nurse said it was fine to go ahead tho and to keep going with this cycle. However, when I had my DD it was 11mm so I asked the nurse to please ask a doctor again about how thick it was. She called me back and said the doctor agreed with me and yes, it’s too thick so let’s cancel. Wtf?! How can my Googling trump their knowledge? They would have put back an embie in a poor environment and only my persistence has made them double check. When I asked how it could happen that it would go unnoticed she said ‘it happens sometimes’.. she also refused to give me the name of the doctor who initially said I was good to go ahead. So it’s another month lost and I’m another month older. FML.

I have an urgent appt with the fellow their as my FS appt isn’t until October. Hopefully I get some answers and restored faith. So angry right now. I’m going public as there’s no money for private so stuck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hi @Frankie1, thanks for your message. I agree. All the journals I’ve read say optimum is between 9-14mm. Today my lining was 15.87mm, really thick. The nurse said it was fine to go ahead tho and to keep going with this cycle. However, when I had my DD it was 11mm so I asked the nurse to please ask a doctor again about how thick it was. She called me back and said the doctor agreed with me and yes, it’s too thick so let’s cancel. Wtf?! How can my Googling trump their knowledge? They would have put back an embie in a poor environment and only my persistence has made them double check. When I asked how it could happen that it would go unnoticed she said ‘it happens sometimes’.. she also refused to give me the name of the doctor who initially said I was good to go ahead. So it’s another month lost and I’m another month older. FML.

I have an urgent appt with the fellow their as my FS appt isn’t until October. Hopefully I get some answers and restored faith. So angry right now. I’m going public as there’s no money for private so stuck
    I know it takes an emotional toll. Perhaps it wasn't checked with a doctor, that's why no name was given? It happened with my first round, and timing of the FET was left with a glorified lab technician / researcher and this was ok with the clinic, the woman also identified I had a short luteal (not correct) and organised the transfer of a 5 day blastocyst to be completed 3 days after ovulation, so of course my uterus wasn't ready. This was normal practice for them too, 3 to 5 day transfers! Learnt a lot after that and became fully aware of what my body was doing. Good luck.