+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reflux Formula

Hi Mummas,

My Dd2 has been vomiting up after every feed with the occasional projectile vomit (probably 1 per day) however the small spit ups are getting worse. We’re constantly covered in vomit and she’s starting to smell like off milk

She’s 5 weeks old. We see the GP this week so will discuss with him too.

We’re mix feeding due to low supply thanks to insufficient glandular tissue so have no choice but to top up. She’s been checked for ties and is all clear. She will vomit after just a breastfeed or just a formula feed and sometimes 3-4 hours after her last feed. She is however happy and settled mostly. She does get a bit unsettled with a big vomit but nothing too bad.

We currently use Bellamy’s organic formula but I think we’re going to have to try a reflux formula. I’m a bit confused, can these formulas be used with a normal bottle? We use pigeon wide neck and they don’t have the option to have a variable flow teat. Can you just use a size up?

Also any recommendations on AR formulas? Or should we try adding a thickener to the one we’re already using?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used Novalac for our reflux baby and didn't have to change bottles or teats as it thickens when it hits the stomach rather than in the bottle. It really helped our DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I looked that one up online and it says to use a variable flow teat. Might give it a try with her normal bottle. Ingredients don’t look too bad besides the oils!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had to hold DD upright for at least half an hour after each feed, and she still used to vomit. She was a "happy chucker"- typically not distressed and putting on weight, so we didn't do anything about it (except washing. Lots and lots and lots of washing). She was BF, so not much I could really change, although I did cut out dairy a d egg for a long time which made a very small difference, although she still vomited after every feed.
    Hugs to you, it's a messy a d distressing thing, even when bub (and your GP) aren't fazed by it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SJ565 lol don’t you just love the term “happy chucker” DD1 was a happy chucker but not quite this bad. She was also mix fed and the only thing changing formulas did was make her constipated and the only formula that she was happy with was the one she started on so we tried everyone on the shelf but ended up back on the original one. Was an expensive exercise but obviously you’ve gotta try everything.
    I hold DD2 upright as long as possible. 20 minutes minimum and then I put her into her swing in an upright position for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately with a 2 year old I can’t hold her upright the whole time. She also needs some floor/ tummy time but she’s only awake for about 90 minutes so by the time her feed is done, then held upright she only gets a few minutes on the ground.
    I think it’s just the constant mess that’s getting to me. I go through about 3 outfits a day, so does she and I have to change her sheets after each sleep because she also vomits in her sleep. I’m just so glad she’s happy and settled! I couldn’t imagine this with her being unsettled too. Having a new born is exhausting enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel you! I cant believe our washing machine lasted!
    DD used to go through so many changes. We found the square type bibs from cotton on really good, as DD would often vomit on her shoulder/ chest and take out both the onesie and the singlet. We also put a sheet folded and wrapped along the bassinette at head and chest height, so when she vommed, we would just change that rather than the full sheet.
    Also, holding bub up on your chest etc counts as tummy time. One less thing to have to worry about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Reflux Formula

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyWay View Post
    We used Novalac for our reflux baby and didn't have to change bottles or teats as it thickens when it hits the stomach rather than in the bottle. It really helped our DS
    Second Novalac!

Dd5 had severe reflux and her weight was affected. Paediatrician recommended Novalac before we tried prescription stuff and thankfully it worked- didn’t stop it completely but definitely reduced the frequency and quantity.

Ds also has bad reflux but Novalac did nothing for him. Because it wasn’t affecting his weight (he was still gaining, albeit slowly), we changed him back to normal formula.

Keeping them upright for at least 30 minutes following a feed also helps sometimes (doesn’t help ds). Ds also has a bassinet where you can adjust the height of one end for reflux babies so they aren’t laying flat. And yes, as pp said, holding them on your chest/ shoulder also counts as tummy time.

Just be aware that if you use products such as infant gaviscon, it can actually make it worse.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 10-09-2019 at 10:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @SheWarrior. We see the GP later this week so I’ll chat to him before I change formula. I’m starting to think maybe shes dairy intolerant now. Her poo is always green and this week she’s been getting random rashes on her tummy and face (kinda looks like heat rash) but then goes away and it’s not hot.
    Thankfully still a settled happy baby though. Only thing the last few days the vomiting is affecting her naps. Man I wish they could talk at this age!