+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bouncers are good for newborns???

Is it good to sit in a cot or bouncer for a new born?
    I'm expecting in December, Me and my husband we're collecting everything which we need for a new born and we were looking for a bouncer or cot something like that and one of my friends she said that sitting in a bouncer or a cot of a new born is not good for their muscles
    I need expert advice on that and if it's not true then what kind of a cot/bouncer i should get for my newborn and what places i can look for them??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I’ve had two babies and you NEED bouncers if you plan on showering at any time while your partner is not home, lol. That’s basically what I used them for. Sometimes you just need to have a shower and do stuff and quite frankly holding them 24/7 is not feasible. For short periods of time they’re totally fine.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (05-09-2019),Tahli (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    definitely some kind of swing/bouncer is a lifesaver for tasks when you’re alone and can’t hold bub...preparing dinner, showering etc. get something that rocks like a mamaroo, i borrowed one recently on an interstate trip and dd loved it. makes life so much easier. if you can’t afford to buy or rent one, placing bub on their back on the ground on a mat or rug is fine also (as long as it’s a safe spot and you can see them at all times and no pets can get to them)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, unless you plan on holding baby while you’re on the toilet you’ll need somewhere to put them. I had 2 , a basic bouncer in the bathroom and a swing in the lounge. I bought mine off gumtree, couldn’t see the point in paying full price for something that is used for such a short time. The ones I got were very gently used and washed up like new.
    Sounds like your friend has read some books, but hasn’t experienced any of the reality of parenting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    just saw the bit about what your friend said; as with all things, bouncers/swings are fine in moderation. it’s people who strap the baby in for extended periods that do baby a disservice as babies need floor time to develop head and neck muscles and gain strength. anyone who uses a bouncer or swing 24/7 is an idiot. for short amounts of time, esp around the 4-5pm mark through to dinner time, esp if you have an older child, you simply can’t be holding a baby without a break. you’ll need someplace to pop them down while you attend to dinner or giving the older child their dinner etc.

for ds, we had a simple kmart bouncer i borrowed off my sister. it didn’t do much except vibrate and had a toy activity bar which he liked to bat around. with dd, i’ve borrowed an ingenuity swing which lives in the main living area downstairs (meaning i can put her in it during dinner time and she can see us/we can see her) and i bought a used veebee bouncer for upstairs, which i put her in when i’m showering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agreed with pp about leaving babies in rocker bouncer type things for extended periods. You would be surprised though how many people would do this.

My youngest is 5 so I don’t know what’s around to buy now. When she was a baby the one I bought was positioned too high for her until she was about 4-6 weeks. We had a lightweight bassinet on castor wheels and I would literally take it room to room with me while she was very small and not moving much. I have 6 kids and I felt that was the best idea I had. The others all had rockers on the floor and were never really thrilled about it. I used to use the pram or a portacot as well.