+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone doing/recently done Research Masters?

I'm looking into possible sideways career step and a Research Masters in Education looks like it may be a good option to get me there.

I'm hoping to hear from people who have experience in Research based Masters since the RTP funding rolled out? I'm trying to work out what the costs to me will be and/or the living income I'll get. I'll get in contact with the uni I'm looking at but looking for some 1st hand perspectives as well. If you studied before this program, still love to hear workload perspectives anyhow!

I'm also curious about the workload, extra expectations from the uni and if you work as well. I chew through research literature for 'fun' already (but I don't need to take notes or typically 'do' anything with what I've read) . I studied my Grad Dip Ed off campus, so I know how to be disciplined with studying without constant supervision/monitoring. As of next year I'll have 1 in secondary and 1 in primary school - so no 'little' kids to juggle throughout the weekday.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not a master's but a PhD. Usually if you get a RTP funded spot, you won't pay anything for your degree (unless you go over the expected time to completion?). You should be able to look up the scholarship amount online...It's usually about $27k/year. As for workload, it's usually treated like a full time job at 35-40 hrs/week but some of that can be at home if your supervisor is ok with it.

Eta. You will usually need to pay the student amenities fee (~$300 a year depending on the uni). If you have a scholarship there's usually a limit on how much you can work 9-5 M-F. I've done casual tutoring work during my degree of about 7-8 hrs/week.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 27-08-2019 at 19:30.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Stretched (28-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks, that's awesome information. I have a potential 2 days per week teaching job next year, so not sure if I can make it all work at once.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (27-08-2019)