+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It’s a worry that I was part time about 4 years ago and can’t remember which days I worked.

I did work Monday’s, most public holidays are Monday so more days off.

We often had lots of things due on a Friday so I was there for that.

Someone else mentioned mother’s group. I also tried to have a day off when others did. There is nothing worse then messenger going off with everyone heading out and your going to work.

It really depends on the role you have and the things you want to do in your days off.

Long weekends didn’t work for me (DH didn’t have them so we couldn’t go away) and I’d fritter away my early days leaving stuff for later.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In your situation id do mon-wed so you then get thurs to sun off each week.

Get DH to have tuesday as his day with bub. Then bub goes to daycare mon & wed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do Tues, Thurs, Fri. My job can be quite physical so prefer the gap early in the week to hit the 2 days in a row with best frame of mind & body. Personally, I get far too exhausted with 3 straight days in a row.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tropical Bub For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Working three days a week - which days?

I am currently doing 3 days a week, had DS April last year and returned January this year.

My plan is to continue 3 days until next year.

I do Monday, Thursday, Friday.

For me this came down to a few reasons:
    - my role requires a lot of things to be done on Mondays and Fridays they are the busiest days and my manager really wanted me there those days
    - a lot of public holidays fall on Mondays which was a plus
    - Easter public holidays around DS birthday work well with the days I work and I got 14 days off for only 2 days of annual leave or something ridiculous this year (this is including weekends)
    - I also was working around my mums schedule as she looks after DS one day a week
    - this worked as I wanted Tuesday’s off so DS could continue his swimming lessons (much prefer in the week as so much quieter)
    - I liked the idea of two days off together instead of having my days off split across the week

For me this works and I love having the two days off mid week, it feels like I have two weekends, I feel like I can catch up and keep on top of managing the house, washing, groceries instead of having to cram that into the actual weekend, so we can enjoy family time as DP works Mon-Fri.

I guess there is a lot of things to consider to figure out what is best for you as everyone has different needs.

Have you thought about putting down all 5 days for daycare waitlist and then when they have a spot/you would be commencing you would have to re confirm anyway and you can advise of what days you actually need based on what you will be working?

I know that’s what a few people did at my work as they weren’t sure on days until later down the track.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019),Starfish30 (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working three days a week - which days?

When I returned to work after DS 1 I worked 3 days per week. My days were Monday, Tuesday and Friday. It worked well as the two days off together were good and although I had a gap in the middle of the week because I worked a Friday and also a Monday it meant I actually worked 3 consecutive work days so for continuity it was great. Plus it meant I could have 5 days off work by only using one day of annual leave to take a Friday off. Plus as a PP said, it’s like having two weekends. The Friday I always felt was a good day as I knew I only had one day to do and got another two off.
    Last edited by Pumpkin1106; 23-08-2019 at 21:15.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Since I’ve had kids I’ve been part-time. Occasionally 2 days but mostly 3 days. In my job it’s makes more sense to do consecutive days and I like it better as well. I have done Mon-Wed and Wed-Fri and I much prefer Mon-Wed because that’s what I’m used to I guess. I have everything organised for the week on Sunday then head to the shops on Thursday for anything that’s needed and clean the house, do washing etc. on Thursdays and Fridays meaning the weekend is free to spend time with the kids and not be spending the weekend cleaning and worried about the state of the house. When I was working Wed-Fri I felt like I was less organised and chasing my tail. I felt like I was spending my weekend cleaning and washing and like I was not on top of everything.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of my maternity return to work staff do Monday-Wednesday. I have one coming back Monday, Wednesday, Thursdays because we literally have no spare desks on Tuesdays across the Department I’m in.
    I’m 4 days and Tuesdays are my day off - it nicely breaks up the week for me instead of 4 consecutive days and a long weekend.
    If you’re considering childcare, it may also depend on what days you get? We’re inner metro Melbourne and it’s a take-what-you’re-offered situation!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MUG81 For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been part time for 3 years now- monday, Tuesday, friday, Saturday. I like having days off during weekdays, so much easier to do groceries, husband is out so i can vacuum and make as much noise as I want, go to places that are closed on weekends and watch chick flicks by myself when I'm done with chores. On Saturdays when I'm at work my husband does his own thing, goes to see friends or do his own shopping then Sunday is our family day together. I'm sure i won't get the same days when i go back to work afyer maternity leave but if asked i will take the same days.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to joyjen For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As other people have mentioned, if you are unsure better to be waitlisted for 4 or 5 days before you make up your mind. Maybe your husband won’t be able to work part-time and you will need the extra day. Maybe you will find that having the option to get your child into daycare for half day to get things done and to breathe works for you and your family.

I personally like to work consecutive days because I forget about work for several days. However if I worked 4 days, I would have the Wednesday off

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (24-08-2019)