+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    options 1 and 2 not practical; it was cold and dark and starting to rain, plus i wasn’t parked that close to the building. i was a tad nervous walking back to the car on my own as it was, definitely didn’t fancy going back again on my own. also what was i going to do? charge into the seminar and demand the attention of the audience? it all seemed a bit over the top, esp with a screaming baby in tow.

i don’t honestly believe anyone in the actual
    situation would bother going back in. it was freezing and really dark. i just wanted to get the hell out of there and home, not stuff around waiting for someone to move their crappily parked car.
    Mmmmm, ok. I get it would be inconvenient. But I would go in and look for help anyway. I appreciate that not everyone would but we were asked what would WE do, and that's what I would do in that situation

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (24-08-2019),turquoisecoast (23-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In all honesty I would have either put the baby on the passenger seat and held the capsule with one hand whilst moving the car slowly just far enough, or taken her out of the capsule and held her in one arm whilst maneuvering the car with the other. I would have done all this with the windows down so I could hear whether other cars were around, and would have only moved the car carefully when no other cars were nearby.

I think I can hear the internet shuddering at the very thought of this, but that's probably what I would have done. I'm all for safety, car seats, capsules etc, but we forget that not so long ago nobody had infants restrained in cars at all. My mother tells me that as a baby I travelled in a moses basket on the back seat. I'm not advocating this, just saying that I feel entirely confident that I could move my car every so slightly with only one free hand. Not ideal, but there you go.

I should add that I've never actually driven with an unrestrained child in the car...!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

stacey10 (23-08-2019),turquoisecoast (23-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    In all honesty I would have either put the baby on the passenger seat and held the capsule with one hand whilst moving the car slowly just far enough, or taken her out of the capsule and held her in one arm whilst maneuvering the car with the other. I would have done all this with the windows down so I could hear whether other cars were around, and would have only moved the car carefully when no other cars were nearby.

I think I can hear the internet shuddering at the very thought of this, but that's probably what I would have done. I'm all for safety, car seats, capsules etc, but we forget that not so long ago nobody had infants restrained in cars at all. My mother tells me that as a baby I travelled in a moses basket on the back seat. I'm not advocating this, just saying that I feel entirely confident that I could move my car every so slightly with only one free hand. Not ideal, but there you go.

I should add that I've never actually driven with an unrestrained child in the car...!
    I would do this too, or I think I would. I don’t drive so I guess I can’t make a comment that would be totally true.
    I only know that I’m what is called a helicopter parent and I could never leave my baby where I couldn’t reach out to them.
    I remember that horrible accident a couple years back I’m sure I don’t have to mention it.

In the end with this story though that the op posted I don’t think it was warranted that her husband freaked out. Maybe a lapse in judgment I don’t know but sounds like it was upsetting and wasn’t the time to question her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    the accident i think you’re referring to what done so because of a lapse in concentration caused by extreme sleep deprivation. the circumstances in my case are totally dissimilar. so not a fair comparison. also, the capsule was atop the pram, not on the ground. i shudder thinking about a capsule sitting on the ground.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, I can’t say for sure (my capsule/pram days are long gone) but I probably would have done the same as you.

I once had a situation where I was parked in the bays in the middle of the street in the CBD in Melbourne (where you drive in forward and drive out forward, no reversing into traffic). All the parks are 90 degree angle parks. I was parked in so close on both sides that I literally couldn’t put the pram in beside my car to unload DD, let alone open the door wide enough to put her in the car. I had to stand between 2 cars up from mine or we would have been on the road at the back of my car. I couldn’t pull a little bit forward or backwards to put her in because I would have been blocking oncoming traffic. I ended up having to wheel the pram over to the footpath and stop a lady in the street and ask her if she would stand with my baby while I pulled my car into a no standing zone to put DD in. It was busy traffic and it literally took a minute or more to get a break in traffic, then I had to quickly pop DD in and pack up her pram. Needless to say I did not ever use those parks again.

Im sure many people would have had a much better solution than the one I choose but at the time I literally couldn’t see any other option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    OP, I can’t say for sure (my capsule/pram days are long gone) but I probably would have done the same as you.

I once had a situation where I was parked in the bays in the middle of the street in the CBD in Melbourne (where you drive in forward and drive out forward, no reversing into traffic). All the parks are 90 degree angle parks. I was parked in so close on both sides that I literally couldn’t put the pram in beside my car to unload DD, let alone open the door wide enough to put her in the car. I had to stand between 2 cars up from mine or we would have been on the road at the back of my car. I couldn’t pull a little bit forward or backwards to put her in because I would have been blocking oncoming traffic. I ended up having to wheel the pram over to the footpath and stop a lady in the street and ask her if she would stand with my baby while I pulled my car into a no standing zone to put DD in. It was busy traffic and it literally took a minute or more to get a break in traffic, then I had to quickly pop DD in and pack up her pram. Needless to say I did not ever use those parks again.

Im sure many people would have had a much better solution than the one I choose but at the time I literally couldn’t see any other option.
    omg i know those car parks!! you’ve just made me realize i should never park in one of those while i’m using a pram/capsule! even with a young child who can climb into the car themselves wouldn’t be enough to make me want to park in one of those spots, there’s just no wiggle room with those spots and traffic wizzes past on both sides of the road at alarming speeds (even if it’s only 40km/hr).

god that must’ve been scary and unpleasant. don’t envy you being in that situation at all!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock (23-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FWIW I wasn't comparing only that it reminded me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (24-08-2019)