+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    omg that would kill me
    And she didn't eat it because it was tasteless!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (25-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Yet another grocery thread...

We spend about $250 a week 2 adults and 2 kids. Mostly woolies and some Aldi stuff. We were getting good at meal planning for a bit and then it goes out the window and we are at the shops every second day !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    We spend $200 week. Family of 4- me, DH, DSS (15 and lives with us full-time) and DD (8 and lives with us) plus our 'special needs' cat.

We buy fruit and vege at a farmer's market and meat/ pantry items at Aldi.
    Our cat is on a vet diet due to indigestion issues so I buy her $40/ month bag of cat food online for $26/month (pet circle for anyone interested) and also her biodegradable cat litter
    Also discovered Pet Circle for my special needs cat (urates). Thankfully she's that old and eats so little that a big bag of the 'prescription' lasts about 6 months. My dogs eat Holistic Select which I also shop around for online or if petstock/petbarn send me a discount coupon. I don't know how it compares to supermarket food cost wise as they've both eaten it since dot. I do know they don't eat much, the JRTxFoxy 2/3 cup and the JRTxsomething-small-probably-chihuaha 1/4 cup, plus we mix in a tiny bit of the 'fancy' my dog tray or leftovers. I'd say over a year we probably spend $600-700 on pet food (so $13ish a week).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't buy $20 packets of muesli, but I don't intentionally scrimp on groceries. 2 adults, 11yo (eats same as me now) & 6yo, we would average about $270pw. Some weeks are $200, some $350, as I batch cook and seems to run out of everything some weeks.

I just find, since we are saving (therefore have 'spare' money) I splurge less at other shops/online if I allow myself to get the Green and Blacks chocolate even though it's not on sale, or some other $5 supermarket 'splurge' that stops me feeling deprived. Also, buying good food for meals stops us getting take away or eating out, which in a country town are all expensive - no $5 dominoes pizza here!

When DD was young we had to live really lean for a while and I'd feed 2 adults and a 1yo on about $80 a week. I've never made so many meals by pulling apart sausages and using the insides before. On the whole we didn't eat well as cr@p would go on loss-leader specials and junk on the whole was cheaper.

I haven't lived in a place where there are cheap veggie markets, discount butchers etc since long before kids. Just the majors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our grocery bill has been creeping up but we have a teenager now (DS) who has always been a big eater - even bigger now . I still manage to keep it under $200 a week (usually around $180). That doesn’t include cat food (we have 3 ) which I order in bulk online. Costs $115 for 15kg and lasts close to 4 months. I am GF - all our meals are GF. Kids and DH aren’t big bread eaters so for the last few years we cook bigger meals each night and they all take leftovers for lunch. DS will also eat leftovers for breakfast, he is a savoury lover. Hardly buy any processed stuff - milo, pack of choc biscuits for a treat, 2 min noodles, rice crackers, cruskits and few other things here and there. Kids are old enough to bake on the weekend for lunches if they want to (DD made banana bread today). Afternoon tea is a boiled egg (buy 3 dozen eggs a week, we hook through them), avo/peanut butter on toast or cruskits, a banana/apple, nuts, or make a smoothie. Most annoying expensive stuff is GF specific, but I don’t each much bread which is the biggest rip off.

I am an Aldi lover but am studying full time this year and have fallen in love with the ease of Coles click and collect. Such a time saver. Once study is done I’ll get back to Aldi regularly for more savings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't really track what I spend, but for 2 adults and 4 kids it would roughly be around $150 to $180 a week. I buy at a discount butcher, fruit store, cleaning products at Aldi or the Reject Shop, and everything else grocery -wise and clothes wash at Coles, Woolies or Aldi.

Have lately been buying our toilet rolls (Kleenex brand) in bulk at Costco and that's been an awesome saving as having 5 females in the household, we go through lots of toilet paper!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I would spend around $250 - $300 per week. I spend around $100 on fresh fruit and veg alone. It all gets eaten too. There are five of us. DD1 and DD2 are vegan. I mostly eat vegan food, but do eat fish 1-2 times per week. While we don't eat a lot of meat as a family, we do spend a lot on nuts and seeds.
    Out of interest, I've just downloaded my bank statements. We averaged $320 per week for the last 13 weeks. Gotta do some serious budgeting and cutting back I think. No more top up shops mid week and grabbing yet more strawberries and blueberries just because they are yummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Around 100 a week for me and my two kids. I buy mostly from Aldi and a few small things from woolies or Coles, You’ll be amazed at the savings with Aldi and my trolley is full but I go every two weeks and on average it’s 170$ but then I’ll go to Woolies which it’ll bring it up to $200 but this is per fortnight. I don’t buy a lot of processed boxed junk though and usually buy stuff you have to cook.