+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Experiences with oversupply/feeding on alternating sides

I've asked two nurses and got two different answers, so throwing it out here to hopefully see what others with similar experiences have to say...

My beautiful bub is three weeks old, growing and gaining weight well. My boobs went into overdrive and I had more milk than needed, so baby started to only take one side per feed. I offer the other, but she's not interested, presumably because she's full after the first. This will presumably reduce my supply after a few days. I haven't been expressing the other side because if I do I'll just keep making more milk, so I've only hand expressed a little to take the edge off and keep mastitis away.

Anyone whose baby has only fed on one side at a time happy to share their experience, have they kept going this way, or did it decrease the milk supply and did baby go back to both sides at every feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had oversupply issues with ds1 & he only fed one side for the first few months. It was fine , no need to pump except for comfort. Your boobs will adjust, supply & demand & all that. After a while he started wanting more so I would offer the other breast & the next feed I would start on the breast he finished on. My supply adjusted accordingly.
    Your doing great, just follow baby’s cues, she knows what she’s doing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletoes Sparklebutt View Post
    I had oversupply issues with ds1 & he only fed one side for the first few months. It was fine , no need to pump except for comfort. Your boobs will adjust, supply & demand & all that. After a while he started wanting more so I would offer the other breast & the next feed I would start on the breast he finished on. My supply adjusted accordingly.
    Your doing great, just follow baby’s cues, she knows what she’s doing
    Thanks - that's what I figured, it makes sense that babies lead the bf dance. Plus presumably if supply goes down and dd2 needs more for a growth spurt etc she'll just build it back up...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Twinkletoes Sparklebutt (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have plentiful (rather than over) supply. DS is 7w and occasionally takes both sides, but often only the one side. Hasn't affected supply to the point of overly negatively affecting supply. All the things I read say to "offer" both sides- which I do, but 80-90% of the time he's not interested.
    With DD a few years ago, I ended up block feeding - offering the same side for any feed within a 4h window. That helped reduce supply. One side per feed hasn't really.
    Last edited by SJ565; 19-08-2019 at 14:47.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had oversupply that cause serious feeding problems and after working with an IBCLC (highly recommend if you think you have oversupply) I have been feeding on one side per feed only for 9 months now. Baby has been happily tracking her curve since her 1 month appointment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pollya For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Kalina my bubba only does one side per feed. I just alternate sides each feed if that makes sense. I think for him one side is enough as ive got a bit of oversupply because im still feeding dd 18 months and her drinking is probably causing more milk than ds needs. I dont think it will reduce your supply as he is draining each breast throughout the day and i always thoight your boobs eventually realise what's needed and change as its needed. I ramg the aus breast feeding association once for advice about other stuff but they were really helpful amd knowledgable. Id ring them too and see what they say :-) ive also has a few days with lumps and pushed/massaged them out. Last pregnancy boibs sirted themselves out by day 4 but this time theyve been a bit haywire, like good for a week or so, then too full, then good again???

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did this. Alternated sides each feed. Ds started taking both sides at about 8 months. Never had an issue with my supply drying up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i only feed on one side with dd per feed. your boobs adjust.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had low supply, so would usually have both boobs emptied at each feed. But all the women I can think of who have successfully breastfed without low supply issues have fed 1 side per feed (offered other, but rarely got taken). Most of them had a pin/hairclip/ribbon that they would swap to the bra strap side they should use next feed so they'd remember.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All three of mine generally only had one side at a time, it sounds like you're doing great

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Kalina (19-08-2019)