+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cerclage / Cervical stitch

I am now 13 weeks! Hooray! My cervix however has dropped from 25mm to 23mm in about 4-6 weeks between scans. I had a previous LEEP procedure long time ago hence the shorter cervix to start with.

My cerclage is planned for Thurs 22/8 and I’ll be Week 13+ then.

Has anyone done cerclage and how did that go for you? There’s risks and the success rate apparently is better for those who opt in earlier rather than an emergency one.

Did you end up having bed rest as well for part of your pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump! Anyone had a cerclage? Love to hear from you. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump! Has anyone done s cervix stitch - aka cerclage?

I just had my procedure yesterday and will follow up next week to find out if it worked well. Sadly my obs machine is not great, I suspect I’d go get a sonographer to track it every 2 weeks.

I’m already at 23mm at 12+ Week. Really hope it doesn’t get worse. Ob said there was only about 1 cm of cervix in the vagina that he could stitch.

We have a trip planned to the Maldives end of Sep when I’m about 18 weeks. Am now not sure if that will happen....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
    Bump! Has anyone done s cervix stitch - aka cerclage?

I just had my procedure yesterday and will follow up next week to find out if it worked well. Sadly my obs machine is not great, I suspect I’d go get a sonographer to track it every 2 weeks.

I’m already at 23mm at 12+ Week. Really hope it doesn’t get worse. Ob said there was only about 1 cm of cervix in the vagina that he could stitch.

We have a trip planned to the Maldives end of Sep when I’m about 18 weeks. Am now not sure if that will happen....
    @Birdface are you on progesterone? Maybe something to ask about if not, they're supposed to be effective for maintaining cervical length too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply!

I just came off my progesterone day before the stitch so it’s not messy down there. Been on Crinone since the FET. I’m googling and it seems like people with cerclage has progesterone shots too. P17? When I had my FET, I was on progesterone oil injections - Proluton - every few days. I’m inclined to ask for that too. I still have some Crinone left so I may ask yo continue with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdface View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I just came off my progesterone day before the stitch so it’s not messy down there. Been on Crinone since the FET. I’m googling and it seems like people with cerclage has progesterone shots too. P17? When I had my FET, I was on progesterone oil injections - Proluton - every few days. I’m inclined to ask for that too. I still have some Crinone left so I may ask yo continue with that.
    A lot of people seem to be on 100mg or 200mg pessaries well into the 3rd trimester for this purpose - the less you can get away with the better I guess, given the mess. Injections might be easier from that perspective, but I don't know which administration route is more effective. Bear in mind that if you start it in the second trimester i think you have to keep going.

All the best, I know this was a hard-won pregnancy for you, fx for smooth sailing 🤞

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Birdface (24-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! Just want to share that my internal ultrasound today indicated my cervix has improved from 23mm to 30mm! The preventative cerclage is in place and glad to have done it early enough.

Oh my goodness, what a relieve! Now I’m in the safe zone of over 25mm less than 20 weeks!

Progesterone is the wonder hormone! I had been on Crinone but will swap now to the dreaded messy pessaries as going Crinone long term is just not sustainable. It’s $133 a box of 15, effectively $100 a fortnight after private health fund pharmaceutical rebate. With 20 odd weeks ahead of me, it’s $1000. But maybe just maybe I will, if pessaries annoy me.

Oddly enough, the obstetricians prefer progesterone pessaries instead of Crinone because they don’t use Crinone or know it well. Crinone must be an IVF preferred medication.

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news and hope this gives hope to other women of the same situation. 🤞🏼

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birdface For This Useful Post:

Allanahbananah (11-09-2019),Bluebirdgirl (11-09-2019)