+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I would just do as I liked. It’s what most people do these days!
    If your kids can stay up late and bed time is no drama go for it.
    I didn’t find the movie scary. But that depends on individual taste.

When I took my son to see Aladdin there was a group of intellectually impaired people up the back, all adults and they were making more noise than kids do. Obviously they are entitled to go to a movie whenever they like. In fact I’m sure it was the same group there when I took my kids to the Lion King too.
    None of this personally bothers me because I’ve got 4 kids at home. I think mild noise should be tolerated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Thoughts - bringing small children to the movies at night

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Babes in Arms are in the daytime though - so are you saying you think day time is more appropriate?
    For my kids it would be more appropriate to go in the day. Even at 6 years old (the age of my youngest) that time is too late for us. By the time the 7:30 movie starts after the ads it’s 7:45 then it’s 2 hours long plus the drive home. Would be well after 10 by the time they’re in bed. I just know my children wouldn’t cope. My kids would not find it scary but it is too late for them. Even my eldest (11 years old) puts herself to bed at 9pm without any reminders from me. My kids have stayed up that late at camping and New Year’s Eve and stuff but it’s not something that happens regularly.

As 2-4 year olds? Hell no! My kids were in bed between 6:30 and 7:30 at that age.

ETA - I don’t care if other people have young children at the movies at that time, it’s just not a suitable time for my family.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-08-2019 at 06:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies.

We went to the movies last night and yes, there were kids around us and it annoyed me no end. To the point where I almost went and got an employee / manager to come in and tell one family to shut up.

For a start it is a theatre with allocated seating and reclining seats widely spaced. We like going to that place due to the reclining seats, but tickets are $15 each and with online booking fees we paid $50 and for that amount of money, I expect to actually be able to watch the movie.

Will say up front that I expect kids to be at kids movies during the day and expect there to be a lot of chatting and constant noise. However not so much at night. I have no issue with well behaved kids any time of the day or night. But rude kids, rude parents, or kids who are just too little to be up late at night and are overtired can spoil it for everyone.

Family # 1. Sitting directly next to us. We get there and first thing I noticed was that they had s p r e a d out. The dad had piled his bags and blankets on my seat and had also dumped his shoes in front of my seat. He did move his stuff when we got there so was all good. Right as the movie started, so after we had sat through the 15-20 mins of adds, I noticed movement. They had a small kid aged around 2.5 - 3.5. It was then on. He did not stop the whole movie. Admittedly the talking was quiet and the shushing from parents was relatively quiet. But he could not sit still. Parents were shuffling him from lap to lap, and trying to get him to sit on his own seat. Non stop (low noise) chatting annoyed me, but it was the constant movement that really ticked me off. The parents had headphones, and another screen for him to look at and then tried to get him to lie down on the reclining seat, put a blanket over him and tried to get him to sleep. I just can't fathom why people would take a small kid to the movies on a Saturday night to see a kids movie when they presumably could have taken him in the daytime when he was in a better mood. They were all set up with alternative entertainment for the kid, with kid sized headphones and a device for him to play with, blankets for him to sleep, so they obviously knew he would be tired. If they were going to see the movie for themselves it wouldn't have been worth it for them because they didn't actually get to watch the movie. Oh and don't get me started on the distraction of the light from the tablet they had for the kid.

Family # 2 - Mother and kid who looked like he was around 5/6 sitting behind us. Non stop cackling / extra loud giggling the whole way through the movie, with LOUD chatting in between. It was a huge PITA. I almost walked out and got an employee to come in and tell them to shut up. These people were just plain rude and would **** me off any time of the day or night. Made worse by the fact that there was hardly anyone in the theatre, so their noise was magnified.

I was so mad when we walked out. DD2 knew I was annoyed and started getting stuck into me about don't you dare embarrass us by complaining to the manager (she does know me well). She thinks that you should expect kids anytime of day or night at a kids movie and I was I over reacting. I think that small kids shouldn't be out in a public place that late at night when parents know their behaviour will be an issue due to being over tired. Movie finished around 9.30pm and I think the parents should have taken that into account.

My kids were mostly asleep by 7/7.30 pm at that age and it would have never occurred to me to take them to the movies at night.

Is odd. Or maybe I'm just becoming increasingly intolerant.

ETA just remembered that the 2.5 - 3.5 year old kid next to us was also sick. I could hear his chest rattling from where I was sitting. There was coughing, sniffing, and parents holding tissues up to his nose and telling him to blow. The more I think about it, these people were just plain rude and stupid for taking a sick child out at night, who they knew wasn't going to sit through the movie and who would want to sleep.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 18-08-2019 at 07:54.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Californication (18-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I do however think that most kids in that age bracket (especially a 2 year old) would struggle to be still and relatively quiet at that time of the evening.

If the kids were acting up a lot I’d probably think to myself ‘what were they thinking bringing tiny kids to an evening session?’.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    I'll add we took ds1 (8) to see Pikachu detective at 7pm, there were a few smaller kids, they talked through the movie. It didn't bother me so much having my own small kids I've learnt to actively filter it out .... but df kept complaining the ones behind us were too noisy and he couldn't hear the movie.
    I would be fine with that. 8 year old boys would be the target market for the Pikachu movie and I can't imagine too many people turning up without kids.

We only went to the Lion King because my teen DD's wanted to go the movies and our only other option was a Quentin Tarrantino movie that I didn't want DD3 to see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2. Restaurants- 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    probably a 3 for ds as he’s still that little bit too young. i think for older kids, say 4-6, it would be a 2. if they can sit still and not disrupt others then i’ve got no issue with them being there, it’s a kids movie after all. i’d be a bit annoyed if there was a kid tearing around or making heaps of noise though, that’s a bit unfair on other movie goers.

Thanks
    Reviews

I’d take them during the day only.

Ds1 I’d take at night

Ds2 currently not in this lifetime he’d drive me mad along with everyone else trying to watch the movie

Dd would be a little angel. She’d just sit there

When I take dd it’s the 10am session, she’ll feed them sleep the rest of the movie

I’ve got small kids but take them during the day and let the adults have down time at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not be happy about the 2-3 year old. If they had a device, bedding etc for him clearly they weren’t expecting him to watch the movie. Not great for the child, the parents or other movie goers - so why bother.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Californication (18-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it is a KIDS movie like the Lion King, then it is not a problem, regardless of when the movie is on. If you're an adult who is going to a kids movie then you can suck it up or if you dont want to suck it up then wait for it to come out on Netflix.

If it is a movie that is really for older people, or adults then no, not under any circumstances. It is selfish and unfair to people who are there to see the movie, especially other parents who were not too tight to get a babysitter, to have other people's kids talking and annoying everyone. Get a baby sitter.