+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working P/T at 34 weeks?

Hi all, newbie here and 8 weeks pregnant with my 1st 🤗
    I'm a self employed (mobile hairstylist for weddings only, no salon work) and I'm freaking out about the wedding bookings I have around my DD. I obviously need to refund deposits and give brides notice, but trying to figure out when I should stop working? Is 34 weeks pushing it?
    I only do 1 or 2 weddings per weekend (roughly 6 hours standing plus the drive there and back). I wish I had the luxury of a back up stylist but she often has her own bookings or isn't available at short notice. If I could wait til closer to the time I would know for sure! 😣
    Any advice from similar mum's in the group would be much appreciated!! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I worked full time shift work till 38 weeks with my second. I work in a lab and I’m on my feet most of the shift. I was tired but I preferred to have more time with the baby than just resting before she came.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply - I'm thinking the same plus if I don't work I don't get paid! Hoping for a smooth pregnancy 🤞🏻

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    hard to say as you’ve got no idea how you’ll feel. you’ll be most rested given this is your first as you aren’t running round after an older child. i’d keep going to 36 weeks if you can manage it but you mightn’t be able to make that call until you’re closer to that point in time. i worked to 35-36 weeks each pregnancy, i have an office job and drove there and back. i was doing 3-4 days a week. honestly i was over it by that stage and ready to go on mat leave. esp second time as i was more tired out and more busy due to having ds to keep up with also!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

83MC (12-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In my first pregnancy I was working full time shift work up until 35-36 weeks. I was on my feet for the majority of the shift. I felt fine, but I also had a cruisy pregnancy bar some SPD pain. I never had to call in sick for work because of how I was feeling in the pregnancy. I would perhaps consult a physio through your delivering hospital as the pregnancy progresses for advice regarding support garments to help with either pelvic stability (if that becomes an issue) or something like the SRC pregnancy shorts/tights etc to help support your body as your belly grows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

83MC (12-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy!

As a previous poster said, you really don't know how you'll be till closer to then, you may get to 34 weeks and still feel okay. I guess if you have bookings close to the 38 week onwards mark, then maybe you could let the Bride's know you'll be in an advanced stage of pregnancy and there is a chance you may not be able to do their booking. With my second DD she came at 38 weeks, so you just never know what will happen!

My hairdresser was a mobile wedding hairdresser on the side of her day job in the salon and she worked up until 38 weeks, leaving herself a couple of weeks at home before bub's arrival. She did say her feet and ankles were over it by then and she lined up another lady to take over her bookings.

All the best for an uneventful and smooth pregnancy.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 13-08-2019 at 11:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is different. I worked full time (8.5hrs plus 45min commute each way) until 38+4 and was fine. Other people struggle. Can you start looking for someone to work as an assistant? Maybe they can come with you for a few weeks then help out from 30wks onwards and then if baby comes early or anything you can hand the last few clients onto them?