+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Morning sickness and BSLs - not eating

Hey just looking for a bit of support from those with GD or even Type 2.
    I’ve just been diagnosed with Type 2 with coincided with falling pregnant, so I am now almost 7w and being looked after by the Diabetes in Pregnancy unit.
    I’m on 8units protapjane each night.
    With morning sickness I am hardly eating AT ALL. I’ve had some “after meal” readings at 7.9 at the highest, when I would have only eaten 2 bites of granola.
    My fasting levels are generally around the 5.5 mark so looks like my insulin will be increased.

Does anyone have experience with morning sickness and not eating effecting their levels. I’m just scared about what will happen when this MS wears off and I’m actually eating, will my insulin units be crazy high??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had gestational diabetes with a background of insulin resistance in all my pregnancies.

My insulin requirements were high, I was taking long acting insulin at night to keep fasting levels in range. My post meal readings were never really an issue, morning sickness meant I wasn’t eating big meals and I was just very mindful of what I was eating.

My endocrinologist and OB assured me that the quantity of insulin I was taking was fine and they would just keep increasing it as the real danger was untreated high levels.

They may give you some fast acting insulin for after meals, when you are eating. Although you may find things settle a little once you are eating more regularly. Most people have increased insulin requirements as the pregnancy progresses so you may also experience that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it takes what it takes. They'll adjust your insulin requirements as needed throughout your pregnancy you keep your numbers controlled and your Baby safe. Try not to worry about what could happen with the units, as there's no way to really predict what it will look like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess you are right the untreated high levels are more of a danger. I do have the insulin to take with meals but haven’t been advised to take it yet. It’s a worry when I’m only eating 1-2 bites what will happen if I have the insulin when it’s not really a full meal as such. I had GD with my first and never had levels so high, was diet controlled at that point so it’s scary seeing these levels when I’m hardly eating.
    I’ve got some medication for the MS now so hoping my appetite will come back and I can focus on being healthier for my Bub.
    Anyway thanks for ur reply I guess it’s nice knowing others having been in my position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had gd last pregnancy. I started on 4 units of protophane In the evening for fasting levels.
    it was increased to 6 units a few days later then stayed stable until delivery. My post meal bsl were grea and diet controlled. I just stuck to 45g carbs for meals and 15g for snacks.

As for not eating, I was informed that high fasting levels *could* be affected by there being too long from the last thing you ate the night before and when you test in the morning... so maybe that could be affecting you?

My mum's been a type 2 diabetic for most of my life. She's been on insulin for over 20 years. I was worried about having to much insulin because I responded to so many "hypos" from mum. I saw the same diabetic educator as mum, who without me even saying, mentioned about typos. She assured me that I would be fine and that gd acts differently than type 2 as ours hormone/placenta, not the pancreas, and I was unlikely to have hypos like my mum had/has.

Also as a type 2 diabetic, mum was advised to take her fasting level ASAP once waking up as taking it I've she'd been up for an hour or 2 could affect her levels. She tested the theory and noticed a drop from 10s and 11s to 5, 6,7s. Simply by the timing.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Ask your diabetic team lots of questions to get the right into for your situation. You can do this.