+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To PGS or not to PGS

Hi all,

Thought I'd post this link to give you more info on pgs tested embryos.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/09/ivf-a...DZtQ0MMypYBLSE

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011996/

Hope it is helpful.

Take care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It’s interesting isn’t it! We did PGS 3 times and decided not to bother with it for this stim- mainly because all but one of our PGS embies didn’t result in a pregnancy and we often had mosaics which made it difficult to decide what to do so we couldn’t justify the extra cost anymore.

Interestingly, when I told my embryologist we didn’t want to do it this time he agreed and said he started doubting it and doesn’t think the technology is there yet. They’d just recently transferred an embryo with two sets of female chromosomes which was not recommended for transfer as it should have been non viable, but the lady had no more embies left is she went for it. She got pregnant and unfortunately had a miscarriage BUT the d&c showed it was a completely healthy boy! Makes me wonder about the ones we discarded.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful137 For This Useful Post:

RubADub (10-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful137 View Post
    It’s interesting isn’t it! We did PGS 3 times and decided not to bother with it for this stim- mainly because all but one of our PGS embies didn’t result in a pregnancy and we often had mosaics which made it difficult to decide what to do so we couldn’t justify the extra cost anymore.

Interestingly, when I told my embryologist we didn’t want to do it this time he agreed and said he started doubting it and doesn’t think the technology is there yet. They’d just recently transferred an embryo with two sets of female chromosomes which was not recommended for transfer as it should have been non viable, but the lady had no more embies left is she went for it. She got pregnant and unfortunately had a miscarriage BUT the d&c showed it was a completely healthy boy! Makes me wonder about the ones we discarded.
    Wow. That’s really interesting that they shared that story with you.. and really honest too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing that. It's something I have been thinking about should we do a stim cycle if this cycle doesn't work. Great to have more info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was researching PGS I came across this response to the first article posted: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/repla...antiago-munne/

It is obviously a personal decision that should be made after talking with your FS and embryologist. For me, I only did IVF to do pgs. I had 2 kids who had been conceived naturally. A couple of years later (when I was in my late 30s) I started trying for #3. I had 3 miscarriages over 2 years TTC before I saw a FS. She recommended IVF with pgs. We had two FETs of pgs normal embryos - the first was a chemical pregnancy, but I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with the second. For me, pgs was worth it.

However I certainly understand that it is very expensive, and not recommended for women who are younger or haven't had recurrent miscarriages. And I also understand that pgs is not a guarantee of a successful pregnancy. Having a chem with a pgs normal embryo was pretty devastating.
    Last edited by hollypolly; 10-08-2019 at 18:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RubADub View Post
    Hi all,

Thought I'd post this link to give you more info on pgs tested embryos.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/09/ivf-a...DZtQ0MMypYBLSE

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011996/

Hope it is helpful.

Take care.
    Just for those reading this - the above article (from 2017) is old PGS technology, which wasn't as reliable / accurate and wasn't as good with identifying mosaics. IF you decide to do PGS you need to ensure the clinic is using PGS Next Generation Sequencing.

We ended up doing PGS (NGS), like the PP we had had 2 chromosomal MMCs that were 'bad luck' and when we had to do IVF due to lining issues following the 2nd D&C we ended up doing PGS as well, which I don't regret. Our first transfer also ended up in a chemical pregnancy (likely my lining wasn't good enough at around 6.5mm - but we had to try as it was the best we'd had to date). The following transfer worked and I'm now 23w4d with a little girl.

As some of the PPs mentioned, it's not for everyone, though I have no regrets. Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aweb031 For This Useful Post:

hollypolly (12-08-2019),Toebeans (13-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,
    If you are a known carrier for any fatal/ serious genetic disease, you need to do genetic testing for that gene mutation.

Take care.