+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and, i do get it... my daughter was conceived using donor eggs and donor sperm and honestly ive explained it to my grandparents several times and they still dont get it. Lol they make comments about DDs hair and facial features and which one of me and dh she looks like I just go with it because they just dont understand about dna and genetics and stuff like that as it didnt really exist in their time. They love me and love DD so it doesnt matter to me what they think or dont understand about her conception.
    And my mum understands the donor process but thinks i shouldnt tell my DD about it when she is older in case it upsets her but i think differently and Im her parent so ultimately the decision is mine to make and it will be the same for you. :-)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can understand the strong mindedness of old people. I am over 60, and my grandmother lived passed 102. I can remember many a discussion we had where her mind was as sharp as a tack, and she wouldn't give up the argument. Yes, the online dating and IVF, would both be quite strange concepts for someone in that generation. Also, just being open and frank about these sort of topics would be a bit unfamiliar. It is nothing personal, it is just the way things would have been in her generation. Also, the concern of the 'other people's opinion' , that was of great importance. Try to relax about it, and just let her be. Rest assured, everyone of your generation will be perfectly fine with your situation, and congratulations for your new arrival. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I can understand the strong mindedness of old people. I am over 60, and my grandmother lived passed 102. I can remember many a discussion we had where her mind was as sharp as a tack, and she wouldn't give up the argument. Yes, the online dating and IVF, would both be quite strange concepts for someone in that generation. Also, just being open and frank about these sort of topics would be a bit unfamiliar. It is nothing personal, it is just the way things would have been in her generation. Also, the concern of the 'other people's opinion' , that was of great importance. Try to relax about it, and just let her be. Rest assured, everyone of your generation will be perfectly fine with your situation, and congratulations for your new arrival. marie.
    Thanks. You're probably around my mums age. She has been very understanding and supportive. Grandma just drives us crazy sometimes lol. Is it common for them to be tactless too? He keeps mentioning my ex fiance to my husband now, compares them both in my husband's face, good comparison and bad. I broke up with the guy 7 years ago but brings him up now and then. Lol

Anyone, thanks for the input. I'll just ignore her. It was a great uncle's bday today, i gave him a call to greet him and mentioned my grandma argued with him insisting my baby is naturally conceived when he knew already we had IVF. I just thought to myself "here we go" and i had to explain. He was cool with it, he only had one kid and said if he had a choice back then he'll do IVF to have more kids. I'll just have to do that to any one confused.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joyjen For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny (12-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @joyjen yes i think tactlessness is a trait! Sometimes when my grandma sees me she says "Is thst how you have your hair?" Lol clearly meaning she doesnt like the way its done (or not done) Maybe as you get older you just stop worrying about being polite and say it as you see it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah, grandmothers.

I had one who was obsessed with my figure - I was a chubby teen and I remember her saying 'you don't have boobs, you just have little fat marshmallows!'

The other had some sort of body hair phobia and would insist on plucking the 5 underarm hairs I had at the time.

My partner is covered in tatts so I imagine they'd have a lot to say if they were still here 😂

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

joyjen (17-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatormusic View Post
    Ah, grandmothers.

I had one who was obsessed with my figure - I was a chubby teen and I remember her saying 'you don't have boobs, you just have little fat marshmallows!'

The other had some sort of body hair phobia and would insist on plucking the 5 underarm hairs I had at the time.

My partner is covered in tatts so I imagine they'd have a lot to say if they were still here
    My grandma picks on my weight too. On everyone's weight come to think of that. She said i should watch out if i gain too much weight and not lose it after giving birth my husband might leave me. If it's only based on physical characteristics, no attractive person would have separated. Hello? What about Brangelina? Hmmm. No point arguing with her though.