+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What’s normal? (TMI post- poop)

Ds is 11 weeks (5 corrected). He has always been a spewy baby and has reflux. For the first maybe 3-4 weeks, he was quite constipated however since then he has gone in the opposite direction. He is almost constantly pooing- some decent size others just a little skid mark so to speak. They vary in consistency too- most of the time they are like a mustard yellow colour and pasty (thick but not hard), other times they are almost dark green/brown and look like they have seeds through it and other times it’s like liquid with a little bit of mucous through it (these don’t happen very often though- maybe once every few days/a week). And they always ALWAYS stink to high heaven. Like a really sickly sweet smell but not a good kind. Normally he doesn’t strain or show any signs of being in pain/uncomfortable while pooing but as soon as he has done one he gets really unsettled, until he has a clean bum again and then he’s fine until the next time. This combined with his constant spewing is making me wonder if there is something going on with his gut?

He’s formula fed- in hospital he was on Nan Optipro, when he came home he went to NaN Comfort and then we changed him to Novalac reflux formula on advice from the MCHN. It didn’t help him with the spewing but that’s when his bowels went haywire (while on the Nan ones he was constipated). Because the Novalac wasn’t doing anything, he is now on SMA formula (only day 2) and unless drs say otherwise, it’s what we will keep him on. I know chopping and changing formula can cause issues (and I’ve discussed changing him before I’ve done with MCHN) but this just doesn’t feel like it’s from that?

I am hoping it settles with this new formula, but if not, is it worth looking into further? Would intolerances cause this sort of issue? Something else? Or do I just have a baby who is a champion pooper?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    did he have antibiotics at all? is he on a probiotic? does he have eczema? he could have some bowel inflammation or an intolerance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    did he have antibiotics at all? is he on a probiotic? does he have eczema? he could have some bowel inflammation or an intolerance
    No antibiotics and not on probiotic, no eczema although does have a sort of rash on his face/head, kind of like goosebumps that gets a little red every so often (only just noticed it in the last week or so).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    see how he goes over next week or so but i wouldnt rule out an intolerance or a short term tummy upset

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    see how he goes over next week or so but i wouldnt rule out an intolerance or a short term tummy upset
    Yeah I will, hopefully the new formula settles it. It’s been happening for about 7-8 weeks or so though, surely a simple tummy upset wouldn’t last that long? Hopefully it’s just that the Novalac wasn’t agreeing with him 🤞