+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet training.... where to now?

Hi all,

DS has just turned 2 and has been sitting on his potty (fully clothed, just to get a feel for it) for about 6 months.... last weekend he took his pants and nappy off and sat down and did a wee, 2 hours later he was back for number 2’s. He showed interest in the big toilet so we bought a seat and a step for him and he has taken to it like a duck to water!!
    I hadn’t really thought much about toilet training since he has literally only turned 2 last month, I didn’t think it would be this soon but like I say he has started himself and seems pretty keen so I’m not going to discourage it. My question is, where do I go from here? He’s not a big talker and doesn’t have a lot of words, he signals when he wants to go to the toilet by taking off his pants. He doesn’t use the toilet every time as in between toilet visits his nappy is wet. He also goes to daycare 3 days a week so what happens there, will they help him to use the toilet if he indicates he wants to?
    Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my only form of info is google unfortunately

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejie View Post
    Hi all,

DS has just turned 2 and has been sitting on his potty (fully clothed, just to get a feel for it) for about 6 months.... last weekend he took his pants and nappy off and sat down and did a wee, 2 hours later he was back for number 2’s. He showed interest in the big toilet so we bought a seat and a step for him and he has taken to it like a duck to water!!
    I hadn’t really thought much about toilet training since he has literally only turned 2 last month, I didn’t think it would be this soon but like I say he has started himself and seems pretty keen so I’m not going to discourage it. My question is, where do I go from here? He’s not a big talker and doesn’t have a lot of words, he signals when he wants to go to the toilet by taking off his pants. He doesn’t use the toilet every time as in between toilet visits his nappy is wet. He also goes to daycare 3 days a week so what happens there, will they help him to use the toilet if he indicates he wants to?
    Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my only form of info is google unfortunately
    We were in a similar situation with DS. From about 18 months he wanted to use the toilet, and would successfully, but didn’t have the bladder control to be solely in underpants. So for quite a while he used the toilet at home when he woke up and before sleep, before going out, or any time he took himself there, but wore pull ups until he was 2 years 4 months (when we returned from a big trip to the US, I didn’t want him in underpants prior to that). He then moved to underpants at home and pull ups out (again his bladder control wasn’t good enough to wear underpants on the school run etc). That system worked really well for us. I think he went into underpants full time sometime around 2.5. Using the toilet prior to going out meant we rarely had to change nappies when we were out which was great.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

ceejie (30-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just toilet trained my son who was 2 in June. We followed the ‘Oh Crap! Potty training’ book. The main message in it was when you start don’t stop.

First day was totally naked from waist down. We kept reminding ur son that wees and poos go in the toilet. We were lucky that he’d tell us every time he needed to go (but also lots of nothing once we got to the toilet).

Then we progressed to commando. Wearing pants with no undies. Theory is that undies can feel snug and comforting like a nappy. First day of this there were LOTS of accidents then from there we have 0-2 accidents a day, mostly 0.

2.5 weeks in, we introduced undies.

With daycare, they were supportive of our approach and most accidents happen at daycare as he’s so engrossed in an activity or further from the toilet. They have mini toilets and potties in his area. We don’t use a potty at home so he’s just been going on the toilet.

We have the toilet training book from Kmart which he loves reading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did early potty learning with DD as she showed interest. When we started at 10m I'd keep her in nappies for 90% of the time by 18 months she would choose each day/outing if she wanted a pull up or undies. I'd been warned she'd be confused going from one to the other but it never did and she stopped day pull ups at 22 months. It also took a year for DS to go from showing interest (2.5yo) to being accident/day nappy free (3.5yo) and I feel like both kids did it in their own time, DD was just much earlier than what's typical in modern society.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet training.... where to now?

I potty trained my son, just after he turned 2 as well. We went cold turkey, and I took four days off work to pretty much chase him around with the potty.

First day we just wore undies with no pants and I literally chased him around all day, asking every 30 mins did he need potty. Second day he just sat down on the potty and peed and since then we’ve fully been in undies with minimal accidents (includes day care, and going out)

Slowly we moved the potty from the living room to the toilet, and introduced the toilet. 4 months later and I’ve just put the potty into storage.

We never went back to nappies, we have the odd accident (maybe once every 3 weeks or so) but I’ve never had one in public yet!

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son trained at 23 months, like yours he was very interested and keen and would go in the toilet as well as his nappy so in the end I just put him in jocks and he's been amazing! It might be confusing your son having a nappy on, once he has a few accidents in jocks he will realise he needs to go in the toilet for all his wees it's worth a go, if he doesn't take to it you can just go back to nappies. Daycare should be supportive, they are very structured with things like this. My son was the only kid in the 'baby' room in undies and they were great with it!