+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dogs first heat cycle

Hi everyone I am hoping someone can tell me roughly how long a dogs first heat cycle lasts? Our little girl westie started to bleed last Tuesday and we have been putting a nappy on her and only letting her out in the yard when we can go with her so a male dog doesn’t get to her (our male Westie has had a 12 month chemical castration) we have never had to deal with a female in heat as all our other dogs have been fixed before they cycle and this is the first dog we plan on breeding so don’t want her fixed but also don’t want her to have a little until she is over 18 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From my experience (staffies) they bleed for about 2 weeks, and can be fertile for around 2 weeks either side of that (I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate though)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    From my experience (staffies) they bleed for about 2 weeks, and can be fertile for around 2 weeks either side of that (I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate though)
    Thanks, I tried googling it and get so many conflicting timelines. We have to go away this weekend for a bit over a week and she is going to BIL’s so trying to get a idea on what to tell him to expect. She is still so little so I really don’t want her having a litter yet and would prefer if she is to ever have one then it is with our male Westie. Photo of her in her nappy and onesie with tail hole cut in them just cause I think it’s cute IMG_2297.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

Starfish30 (25-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I guess it’s probably varied depending on breed etc too. Have you looked into crate training? I’d probably keep her isolated- they are sneaky things and males will do anything to get to her. Before we realised our girl was on heat, I busted her with her backside up against the fence and the male dog next door trying to get to her through the fence 🤦‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have BIL set to make sure he goes outside with her and not to let her out into his backyard without him. DH is also going to go over and dig wood into the ground along the colourbond fence so there is no gaps. I would take her with me but we will be staying at Mums who has a male dog and even though he has been neutered my little guy is very territorial with his little lady and I can only imagine he will be worse now she is in heat

Thanks
    Reviews
    With your little boy just be careful as they can still get an erection and have sex ! My late princess molly (Maltese/Bichon) was never desexed nor did I breed her. Well I had to look after my aunts dog while they where away and he had been desexed. I went out in the backyard the 2 little buggers where going at it ! Only way to actually get him off her was with ice on his bits to make them shrink. I rang the vet and be said yes it can happen.

Her cycles for memory where about a week I think ? But she passed in 2005 and the dog I had after her I desexed when she was 6 months old same for the one I have now

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little guy is showing less to no interest in her in that way he has just been how has always been with her and barks at her until she gets up to play, and carries on when we are putting a nappy on her because he wants one too little weirdo that he is. Since he had his chemical castration he hasn’t even tried to “make love” to any of the little stuffed toys that were always his dates. But I will definitely keep a eye on him.