+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is 8.30am too early to receive a phone call from a friend(who just wants to chat)

I have a friend whose going through a lot in her life at the moment. She phones me 8.30am every morning. She usually phones me at work when she goes out on the road(driving is part of her job).
    She detected in my voice this morning that I was not in the mood to talk.
    She started getting a bit narky with me.

I feel it's too early for in-depth phone calls. I haven't told her as she's really hurting and sensitive at the moment. I guess I am trying to find the right time.
    If I don't answer the phone, she will send me email after email.

Is 8.30am too early for phone calls from your friends?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends on what you're doing. If someone phoned me at 830am, I'd be mid-school-run and definitely not in the headspace to talk. If you're both at home doing nothing then it's not an issue. But if you're at work, it seems pretty inconsiderate, but then if she is going through a lot at the moment she'd be consumed by it and not thinking about anyone else. Maybe see if she can get some counselling? Then she might be able to get all that she needs to talk about out to someone and rely on you less?
    You sound like a kind friend though, but you have to look after yourself too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Dannipanni (24-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not too early here. I've been up for hours and I'm not working

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    8.30 is too early for a phone call from anyone! Seriously though, it’s one of the worst times of day for me. Week days I am in the midst of school morning chaos and weekends I’m generally still in bed or not long got up. Definitely in no mood for phone calls. Text or Facebook message sure, but not phone calls. It’s hard enough answering calls at the best of times. I’d have no hesitation in telling friend to back off, I’m happy to chat but not at that time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    it’s a bit early for in depth discussions. not so much because of the time, but because it’s a busy period in most peoples days....most people are either starting work or commuting to work or dropping kids off etc. it’s really just a busy time and even though i’m not currently working, i’d struggle to have a meaningful conversation with someone because we are doing the daycare run then drop dh into work.

perhaps just let her know you’re there for her but you’re struggling with the time of day her calls are coming through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my friends often comes round between 8 and 9, I usually drop kiddo to kindy at 8, we sit and have a coffee and talk or even just sit and watch TV with me.
    It doesn't at all bother me right now, but in a couple of years when the boy is going to school, it may become a problem.
    For now I am happy with it and even appreciate his company at that time of day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long have the calls been happening? How long until things calm down? (How long can you expect these calls to continue?) Is it EVERY day? Does it affect your work? I can't imagine your employer would be pleased...

Some people are exhausting...

If it's only just started and I knew they just needed a week or two of support, I'd just deal with it.

If it's been going on for a while, or I can see it's gong to be an ongoing thing... Then need to be more respectful, regardless of how they're feeling or what's going on.

If it's causing problems, I think you should try and have a gentle chat with them. Let them know you're available for support, but that the calls are coming through when you're busy, and you'd prefer to be able to give them a quality chat, so could they call at...... or text/ email and you'll reply when you can....or, make a time to catch up face to face for a cuppa and good chat?

Is there anyone, or a service who could help your friend that you could pass on details of for them to contact? It might help reduce the strain on you.

But to answer your question, 8.30 wouldn't be a good time for me.

I've been frustrated with a friend who has a habit of texting, then immediately Facebook messaging the exact message (so they can see if Ive seen it).. Then if I haven't replied in a few mins calls both my mobile and the house phone... at 9am.... just to ask "what are you up to today??"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (27-07-2019),SuperGranny (24-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend who messages me between 8-8:30 every morning. I usually don’t msg back until around 9:30 sometimes later. Even tough I have been up since 7 with DD around that time I’m doing washing, cleaning up just general house things. You would think she’d get the idea & just wait till around 9:30 when she knows I would msg back but nope lol. In saying that I think it’s a little early especially for an in depth convo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not too early, maybe a little inconvenient. I do make calls on my way to/from work as it is sometimes the only chance I get. Therefore I do ring people at around 8am, but only those I know are likely to be free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A crappy time. The breakfast rush would of finished in my house then getting kids and the door to school and daycare.

Personally I just wouldn’t answer the phone