+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Disciplining a 2 year old

This toddler/2 year old stage is HARD!!!

I know discipline is a topic that people differ on but I was curious how others deal with strong willed 2 year olds.

My son has meltdowns very easily and sometimes will start throwing items around him on the floor. I understand that when he’s having a meltdown it’s him not being able to cope/process his emotions etc.

Yesterday he threw my phone on the floor. My reaction was to tell him that’s not what you do and remove him from the situation. He was overwhelmed and ended up having a cuddle with me.

My hubby keeps saying I’m not disciplining him enough and he just gets away with any behaviour. I find this age hard as you can’t be rational with them during a meltdown.

I suppose my go to actions are to:
    - demonstrate expected behaviour
    - later my tone of voice when I’m not happy with his actions
    - remove him from the situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little Miss is 21months and is doing this!
    DF and I are actually going to a workshop tomorrow to (hopefully!) learn some strategies around it! Can share some thoughts after that!!
    In the meantime... good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUG81 For This Useful Post:

Thecrazycatlady (20-07-2019),Yogis Mumma (19-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ignore bad behaviour, give it no attention and just use distraction.
    2 year olds do not respond to logic or reason, they are just caught up in their emotions.

Just love them up and remember it is just a phase, isnt called the terrible twos for nothing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (19-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel3072 View Post
    Ignore bad behaviour, give it no attention and just use distraction.
    2 year olds do not respond to logic or reason, they are just caught up in their emotions.

Just love them up and remember it is just a phase, isnt called the terrible twos for nothing.
    Thanks!! I have an awesome boss with older children and recently when he knew we were having toddler issues at home he said the reputation of the terrible twos exists for a reason!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don’t discipline as such, but I do give consequences for actions. For example I am still BF DD, and some days she pinches me while feeding and it hurts (her nails always seem to be sharp pincers, even after cutting them). I will first ask her to stop and explain it hurts mummy. If she keeps going I will tell her that if she continues to pinch then I’ll take her off. If she pinches me again, I take her off. Yes she gets upset and occasionally will have a bit of a meltdown. Depending on the situation will depend on how I react. For example if I know she’s super tired, then I will give her 30-60seconds if the consequence and then ask her for cuddles. While we have cuddles I will reiterate to her that mummy asked her to stop pinching and she kept pinching so I took her off. If she asks to go back on then I remind her that if she pinches again then that’s it, no more. 99.9% of the time she will comply.

Reasoning and “discipline” at this age does not work. Time out/naughty step is useless as they do not usually understand what they are doing is “wrong”. Really, a 2yo has big emotions that they usually don’t know how to deal with. Before I respond, I will usually ask myself:
    a) is it dangerous?
    b) is it hurting anyone?

If the answer is yes then I have consequences as listed above. If the answer is no then I will explain to DD why we don’t do that behaviour and keep reiterating that message time and again. Eventually I’m sure it will sink in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (19-07-2019)