+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Emdr

Has anyone done this before? I’ve been referred for a few sessions under my mental health care plan and it sounds full on. Not the therapy itself but the emotions and feelings it triggers. Did it work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Emdr

*Please don’t quote*

It’s been 10ish years since I had it done. It actually really helped. I had a termination years ago and felt terribly guilty and sad. So that’s why I used the EMDR with my psychologist. Now when I think back to my termination, I still feel sad and full of regret but also at peace with my decision. It’s hard to explain. I don’t cry myself to sleep every night like I used to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for sharing. Was referred primarily due to everything with ds and after dd5s birth but I also know a lot of underlying trauma from previous experiences over the years are mixed in with that too. Basically a lifetime of stuff all intertwined will come to the forefront and to be honest, im scared of feeling the emotions that these will bring. But, I guess that’s the whole point of the therapy though, isn’t it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't, but have been the carer for someone who did.
    My tips....make sure they are well qualified in EMDR and don't go to someone who is only training or recently endorsed.
    ... ensure they have helped you learn excellent distress tolerance strategies prior to undergoing any EMDR therapy.

Feel free to say no if you feel it is not the right approach for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    I haven't, but have been the carer for someone who did.
    My tips....make sure they are well qualified in EMDR and don't go to someone who is only training or recently endorsed.
    ... ensure they have helped you learn excellent distress tolerance strategies prior to undergoing any EMDR therapy.

Feel free to say no if you feel it is not the right approach for you.
    The man I’ve been referred to is extremely qualified- has been doing it for many years and counsellor knows him well on a professional level (not that that means much I guess). She said there’s a couple in town who do it but the one she referred me too is who she believes is the best. The counsellor said there’s a pretty in-depth assessment done prior to starting... I guess they will do distress tolerance stuff then? I’m more than happy to give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It didn’t work on me but hypnotherapy did a little bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Thank you for sharing. Was referred primarily due to everything with ds and after dd5s birth but I also know a lot of underlying trauma from previous experiences over the years are mixed in with that too. Basically a lifetime of stuff all intertwined will come to the forefront and to be honest, im scared of feeling the emotions that these will bring. But, I guess that’s the whole point of the therapy though, isn’t it.
    All of my immediate adult family have had it done for various things and all have had success. I want to use it again for something but I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to bring that trauma to the front of my brain. I totally get those feelings xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    That’s what I am hesitant about... am I really ready to confront the trauma I’ve spent the past 18 years trying to bury. And lord knows there’s a whole lot to work through.