+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me everything about your mirena

How heavy was the initial breakthrough bleeding for first few months etc. ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a mirena inserted 4.5 years ago. I have honestly not had one complaint. I didnt have any break through bleeding in the first few months and in fact over the entire time I've had it in, I might get a "period" which is literally just a smear of light coloured blood when I wipe, every 6 months or so. I am due to have it taken out in a few months and I will most likely have another one inserted (FTR, I had the mirena inserted due to heavy periods, not for birth control).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I had a mirena inserted 4.5 years ago. I have honestly not had one complaint. I didnt have any break through bleeding in the first few months and in fact over the entire time I've had it in, I might get a "period" which is literally just a smear of light coloured blood when I wipe, every 6 months or so. I am due to have it taken out in a few months and I will most likely have another one inserted (FTR, I had the mirena inserted due to heavy periods, not for birth control).
    Oh thank you. Just what I needed to hear. Yes mine is for heavy periods, but also contraception- 41 and no more babies for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one put in when Ds1 was 6 weeks old. Had it in for 4/5 years I think or there abouts. Didn’t have any real periods at all no bleeding after it was inserted. I would get some light spotting on rare occasions and that was it

Everyone responds differently though

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (17-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first one was put in when I was under GA for other reasons. I had no issues with spotting or anything else and thought it was the best thing until it dislodged (within a month or two? Memory is hazy).
    I had another put in soon after and it was a nightmare. I think I lasted a month with really heavy bleeding and some scary side effects before I pulled it out one night after having another black out episode and getting uncharacteristically aggressive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (17-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    My first one was put in when I was under GA for other reasons. I had no issues with spotting or anything else and thought it was the best thing until it dislodged (within a month or two? Memory is hazy).
    I had another put in soon after and it was a nightmare. I think I lasted a month with really heavy bleeding and some scary side effects before I pulled it out one night after having another black out episode and getting uncharacteristically aggressive.
    Eek

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Eek
    They are known side effects, but in my experience were glossed over. After I removed it and noticed the dramatic shift in mood, I read through others' experiences and learned that I definitely wasn't alone. When I went back to my gyno, he agreed that I had made the right decision to remove it.

I would still try it because it may work well for you, but just be aware incase you do start to notice any changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one put in when DD was 6 weeks old... I had months of light bleeding and considered having it taken out. After about 6 months it regulated but my af was still over 2 weeks long and short cycles so still bleeding more than not bleeding. After a year I gave up and my GP took it out (didn’t feel a thing), then I immediately fell pregnant

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (17-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me everything about your mirena

Oh thanks everyone. I went to gp this morning . I had started back on pill 2.5 weeks ago and I kept bleeding med after af had finished - continuously. I chatted to her about mirena, she’s given me a higher strength pill to see how that works, but also gave me script for mirena if I decide to go for it. She did say though that because of my history of very heavy af’s , there’s a higher risk of it expelling!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    is it painful or difficult to get put in? i’m still none the closer to finding a contraceptive solution and am sort of just now leaning towards a mirena because i can’t think of anything else.

i’m not keen for hormonal stuff but keep hearing it’s a very low dose. i worry about the mood aspect too.

your experience sounds quite scary!