+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    is it painful or difficult to get put in? i’m still none the closer to finding a contraceptive solution and am sort of just now leaning towards a mirena because i can’t think of anything else.

i’m not keen for hormonal stuff but keep hearing it’s a very low dose. i worry about the mood aspect too.

your experience sounds quite scary!
    It is painful, but it's over really quick. Given it lasts 5 years if all goes to plan, it's definitely worth a few minutes of pain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (17-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    is it painful or difficult to get put in? i’m still none the closer to finding a contraceptive solution and am sort of just now leaning towards a mirena because i can’t think of anything else.

i’m not keen for hormonal stuff but keep hearing it’s a very low dose. i worry about the mood aspect too.

I didn’t find it all that painful to get put in. Maybe a bit worse than a Pap smear but not unbearable.

I haven’t had mood swings or any other side effects. My experience has been very positive with it. It’s apparently the equivalent to just two mini pills a week, delivered locally to the uterus.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (17-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got the Mirena put in a few months ago, so very new to it all. It was put in for very heavy and prolonged AF/adenomyosis.

I have had about 3 cycles (I think) with it so far and initially the break-through bleeding was weeks on end, but now seems to have settled in. Apparently you need to give it at least six months to settle in and get it checked at the three month mark to see if the strings are okay. The strings drove me batty at first as I could feel them when I walked but now I don't feel a thing.

Mood-wise I feel the same as when I was on the pill, a little hormonal/down around the time of AF, but no real change there.

All in all *touch wood* I am happy so far and would recommend it, but I think I will know for sure after a year at least. My Gynae told me I can have it in for 7 years, possibly even 10 I didn't know it could be in there that long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ETA: Insertion-wise, it was a bit of an uncomfortable pinch, but over so quickly that it doesn't register as painful.

It was a bit of a dull ache and some bleeding afterwards, but that is normal and could resolved with paracetamol if need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

They are easier to put in when you’ve had a vaginal birth as the cervix is soft still. I tried after Ds2 csec there was no way my gyno/OB was getting it in there so had the implanon instead

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got mine when my son was 6 months old (second baby) the procedure felt much the same as a Pap smear, for about 3-4 hours after I got pretty bad cramps.. but slept it off and woke up fine the next morning!

I bled for about 6 weeks after, not very heavy just light to moderate at times!
    I got thrush, every month for the first six months. My doctor said it was a hormonal response and my body just had to get use to it.. it literally replaced my period I could count down to getting thrush! Haha

I’ve just recently had mine removed after 7 years! (2 years over due !)
    Only removed to make a baby, I loved it!

Never once got my period.. the occasional coloured discharge but never anything I could even count as spotting!