Closed Thread
Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I doubt it's black and white, depends on the hospital, and also on what's important to you.

I went public for both my successful pregnancies, and also for the pregnancy which ended in tfmr, so for the good and the bad, and couldn't be happier with the care I received at both ends of the outcome spectrum.

A lot of people put great emphasis on seeing the same Ob throughout - if this is most important, then private is definitely the way to go. I wanted to be in the biggest hospital - the one you end up in if there are issues. I wanted to be as physically close as possible to the best equipment in the best NICU, just in case. As a 42yo with a DE IVF pregnancy I was in the high risk stream - I felt well cared for throughout. My care plan was devised at the start by the head of obstetrics and the other drs and midwives I saw stuck to that.

I did see a private ob from weeks 12 to 17 (my FS did my weekly scans in the first trimester, and the public hospital took over at 17 weeks). I didn't feel the care was any better, just more expensive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Amandamoo (06-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Amandamoo I reckon you’ll get excellent care either way. To me the question comes down to a few things:

(1) Frequency of visits and scans
    - in Private you see the OB from about 10w vs say 17w in public. But might be earlier with twins anyway?
    - I am private and get monthly scans at OB appointments and could always just pop in if worried but never felt need to do that
    - this probably comes down to personality as to whether you feel you need extra visits

(2) Continuity of care
    - see a team of OBs or one who knows your history
    - can depend on hospital as in some you might get lucky and see one most of the time anyway while in others it’s a different person each time
    - sometimes a team can be a good thing too!

(3) The hospital
    - with public you can’t choose which hospital as you need to be in the catchment area. So you’ll go to your local one (and also check which is the nearest tertiary hospital as with twins there’s a chance you’ll end up there if you go early)
    - for both public and private... check how many weeks they will deliver babies from? Do they have special care nursery? Do they have NICU (or how far to the nearest one)?
    - what are they like?

(4) The cost to go private
    - depending on where you live this could be a few grand or here in Sydney can be like $8k just for OB. Some also charge for each appointment so that can add $1-2k (others bulk bill). There’s then anaesthetist, paediatrician, maybe delivery fees etc. You also pay for 13w and 20w scans.

A year ago I was leaning towards going public as I knew I’d be high risk and would be at the tertiary hospital which is fantastic. But now I’d be sent to a new hospital they’ve built closer to me and I hear very mixed experiences. It’s a bit of a shambles. I just didn’t want that stress, so I am going private now.

As said above, even if you go private you will end up at the tertiary public hospital if you deliver early which is more likely with twins. In that case you will still have paid the OB’s management fee but won’t have them at the birth.

Best of luck deciding and congrats on your scan - looks like both your little ones are doing brilliantly

R

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Risa78 For This Useful Post:

Amandamoo (09-10-2019),Notalone (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Oh gah! Always the way! Fair play tho for travelling all that way with hand luggage lol. Will you come back straight away and do your BT here?

I’m so excited for you!!

Thank you I just got to the hotel and leave Thurs night so it’s just a quick in and out trip!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful137 For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (07-10-2019),Notalone (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful137 good luck! We just got back to Melbourne! Btw are you also from Melb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydreambaby View Post
    @Hopeful137 good luck! We just got back to Melbourne! Btw are you also from Melb?
    Thank you! No I’m from Perth. How are you feeling? Is your blood test on Fri or Sat? I can’t remember if I’ve asked but will you poas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful137 it's on Sat but think I'll poas maybe Friday if I can wait til then!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mydreambaby For This Useful Post:

Notalone (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful137 it's on Sat but think I'll poas maybe Friday if I can wait til then!
    Eeek, fingers crossed for you 🤞 I think that’s amazing self control to wait until Friday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa78 View Post
    @Amandamoo I reckon you’ll get excellent care either way. To me the question comes down to a few things:

(1) Frequency of visits and scans
    - in Private you see the OB from about 10w vs say 17w in public. But might be earlier with twins anyway?
    - I am private and get monthly scans at OB appointments and could always just pop in if worried but never felt need to do that
    - this probably comes down to personality as to whether you feel you need extra visits

(2) Continuity of care
    - see a team of OBs or one who knows your history
    - can depend on hospital as in some you might get lucky and see one most of the time anyway while in others it’s a different person each time
    - sometimes a team can be a good thing too!

(3) The hospital
    - with public you can’t choose which hospital as you need to be in the catchment area. So you’ll go to your local one (and also check which is the nearest tertiary hospital as with twins there’s a chance you’ll end up there if you go early)
    - for both public and private... check how many weeks they will deliver babies from? Do they have special care nursery? Do they have NICU (or how far to the nearest one)?
    - what are they like?

(4) The cost to go private
    - depending on where you live this could be a few grand or here in Sydney can be like $8k just for OB. Some also charge for each appointment so that can add $1-2k (others bulk bill). There’s then anaesthetist, paediatrician, maybe delivery fees etc. You also pay for 13w and 20w scans.

A year ago I was leaning towards going public as I knew I’d be high risk and would be at the tertiary hospital which is fantastic. But now I’d be sent to a new hospital they’ve built closer to me and I hear very mixed experiences. It’s a bit of a shambles. I just didn’t want that stress, so I am going private now.

As said above, even if you go private you will end up at the tertiary public hospital if you deliver early which is more likely with twins. In that case you will still have paid the OB’s management fee but won’t have them at the birth.

Best of luck deciding and congrats on your scan - looks like both your little ones are doing brilliantly

R
    Great summary! My OB let me visit as often as I wanted and I went fortnightly for a few months!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phia For This Useful Post:

Amandamoo (09-10-2019),Notalone (08-10-2019),Risa78 (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful137 View Post
    Thank you I just got to the hotel and leave Thurs night so it’s just a quick in and out trip!
    Best of luck! Sending baby dust your way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on being PUPO, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Notalone For This Useful Post:

Mydreambaby (08-10-2019)