+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Possible Hip dysplasia??

I'm hoping someone might have some advice.

My 8 week old was born breech. We had the pediatrician follow up appointment Yesterday where they performed an ultrasound.

His left hip was fine, but his right was referred to as "immature".

No action had been taken yet. I don't know if this is good or bad 🤷‍♀️

They're repeating the ultrasound in 6 weeks. (He will be 14 weeks old) If it's fixed itself, great. If not, we will need to do "treatment".

Has anyone been in this situation? What was your outcome? Did it right itself?

Or can anyone define exactly what they mean by "immature"? Google tells me this means his socket is 'shallow' but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello
    My daughter was born breech and had similar results, only both sides were immature. The way they explained this , is that breech position often restricts growth because they are more cramped inside. Once born, they have more room to have everything in the right place to grow and therefore some time and space to correct anything that was a little delayed in growth in Utero. DDs indeed corrected itself in time as well and no treatment was required. It usually does resolve itself.

If it doesnt, it may only be a matter of a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon or paed for opinion and possible manipulation or bracing. Again, nothing you should need to worry about.

We have a history of hip dysplasia and my son required bracing from 6 weeks. It didn’t harm him and before he was 1, he was perfectly fine.

Good luck. Try not to worry and enjoy your new little one x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbleBubble View Post
    Hello
    My daughter was born breech and had similar results, only both sides were immature. The way they explained this , is that breech position often restricts growth because they are more cramped inside. Once born, they have more room to have everything in the right place to grow and therefore some time and space to correct anything that was a little delayed in growth in Utero. DDs indeed corrected itself in time as well and no treatment was required. It usually does resolve itself.

If it doesnt, it may only be a matter of a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon or paed for opinion and possible manipulation or bracing. Again, nothing you should need to worry about.

We have a history of hip dysplasia and my son required bracing from 6 weeks. It didn’t harm him and before he was 1, he was perfectly fine.

Good luck. Try not to worry and enjoy your new little one x
    Thank you so much for your reply. How long did it take your daughter to come good on her own?

We have no family history, it's all uncharted waters for us. I'm just hoping that because the pead was happy to wait it's only just outside normal range... I don't really know what else to do other than try keep him frog legged as much as I can. 🤷‍♀️

We have an ergo, and wee use love to dream swaddled, both have endorsement from hip places....So hopefully we are doing best by him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those products were given the ok for us to use too so I’m sure he’s all good.

From memory, we had her scanned again at 12 and then 16 weeks and by then she was all clear. It may have been longer that long though because she was also a bit prem so the one follow up scan for you may just be all you need.