+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel when pregnant

Has anyone had any experience with traveling in second trimester? I have a wedding in Europe when I’ll be 16-19 weeks pregnant. Traveling to Switzerland, Italy, Spain and France for three weeks. Besides the obvious missing out on all the good food and wine any thoughts on this? I will talk to my OB about it today as well.
    We’ll obviously not be doing many of the hikes we were hoping to and will be taking it nice and easy now. Any recommendations on good travel insurance companies that cover pregnancy related items? Any other advice would be great.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If this is your first baby and it’s a single pregnancy, without any pre existing complications, you can pretty much carry on as usual, doing all the usual things that are recommended during the long haul flights, like walking the isles and drinking plenty of water etc. you can still do your hikes as well if your used to exercising, just again making sure you don’t over do it and keeping yourself hydrated etc. not sure about the pregnancy insurance, I usually use southern cris travel insurance, maybe google best travel insurance for pregnancy etc, hopefully someone will come along with personal experience with travel insurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We traveled to the USA (mostly California) at about that gestation. We had trouble getting insurance due to IVF but ended up going with sure save.

We still visited wineries, ate at wonderful restaurants and did short easier walks.

We planned on having 2 days to gather ourselves once we arrived which was great as I was very tired but otherwise we just did what we felt like. I don’t feel like I missed out at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I’ve just started to realize the difficulty covering pregnancy when it wasn’t natural conception. We didn’t have Ivf but had ovulation induction so many don’t cover. Will have a look into the two you’ve used. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was living in Europe and so baby visited 6 countries before she was born

Just make sure that your hotel has airconditioning ( not all do) as a nap in the cool after a big day of site seeing is a must.

Missing out on wine is a bummer but there is plenty of delicious food you can still eat.

It depends on your pregnancy ( obviously) but I travelled up until 34 weeks and asides from my aforementioned snooze was able to manoeuvre quite well!

Just maybe stock up on any toiletries and medical items and definitely have your doctor write a note saying it’s safe for you to fly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just had a quick google and there is quite a few that do cover, they specifically say ivf which yours isn’t, a few cover up and u til 26 wks, some 23 weeks so you should be able to find something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it largely depends on how you feel.

For many women, the second trimester is a good time - an end to morning sickness, an immune system boost, more energy and the weight gain is still minimal enough not to be an issues.

My aim was to travel after week 20. But I had the second trimester from hell with my blood pressure becoming so low I'd just drop to the floor several times a day. If it wasn't for that, I'd have been in Paris with bells on.

Recently travelled with miss 8 months and lets just say...its not quite the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think covermore also do travel insurance for pregnany and for ivf pregnancies too if that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    I think covermore also do travel insurance for pregnany and for ivf pregnancies too if that helps.
    Yep we’ve used both covermore and suresave. I can’t remember why we didn’t use covermore the second time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (14-07-2019)