+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dropping to one nap?

My 13 month old is starting to resist his afternoon nap a little. We’re definitely not at the stage where we are ready to drop to one but I know I need to tweak his day a bit and am just trying to work out the best way to do it. I’d prefer to do it in a way that’s going to make the transition to one nap easier later on.

His routine is/was
    Up 7am
    Nap 9.15-10.30 (I wake)
    Nap 1.45-3.15 (I sometime have to wake)
    Bed 7

He usually goes down very easily and independently but the afternoon one has been a bit more resistant this week.

My thoughts were to start cutting the morning one and as we go moving the afternoon one earlier until eventually the morning one is gone and the afternoon one is a midday one.

But everything I’ve read on the 2-1 nap transition suggests cutting out the arvo one all together and just moving the morning one later and later until it’s midday.

(Except for the Little Ones program which I bought in the early sleep deprived months but never used- that suggests what I thought above).

I think my way could work but am also worried it might not so just wanting to see which way others have done it?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can’t be too much help as we didn’t have a set plan to transition naps. DS just started showing signs that he wanted to be awake/ play longer and ultimately his first nap of the day slowly over the last couple of months just ended up being later and later in the day.

We have never woken him though as he wasn’t/still isn’t the best sleeper so sometimes his 1 nap could be 2-2.5 hours.

He is now 15 months old and most days only has 1 midday nap, occasionally 2 if he has had a rough night/early start (4am - 5am) and on those days he ends up having an early morning nap around 8 and then another around 1 or 2.

One method definitely doesn’t work for all babies! Trust your gut and do what you think is going to work best for your family.

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    We gradually stretched the morning nap later and later eventually we settled on 1-3/3:30 and at 2.5 dd still does 1-3/3:30 most days.
    Early days of the nap transition we would do a 6 or 6:30 bedtime to avoid her getting overtired. If early bed wasn’t possible we would try do a 15 minute power nap around 4 to get her through.
    Good luck! We struggled at the start, but gosh once it was settled that big nap in the middle of the day is bliss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Loh4 and @Mashie Great to head your stories!
    @Mashie was your dd resisting the first nap?

I guess that’s what I’m struggling to work out- because he’s so keen on his first nap. I’m sure I could push it later if I wanted but I don’t know whether to keep it and just continue to shorten it until it’s so small I can loose it instead?

Would love to hear from anyone who’s gradually reduced the morning one and got down to one that way too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im not sure if it helps but my dd just stopped being tired at her morning nap. Took me a week of trying to figure out why she wouldn't settle anymore at 11am, until i realised that she just wasnt tired. So we kept the afternoon nap. I never wake her up coz i figure if she's asleep its because she's tired. If she sleeps for an extra hour at nap time, then we just do bedtime an hour later than normal. So for me, i just let it happen, didnt really try to manipulate or change her routine, more just adjusted to what she was naturally doing.
    I think all kids are different, and there is no right or wrong, just what works for your child but i have kinda learnt to just go with the flow, if she's tired then i put her down for a nap whenever that is, usually its at the same time each day but if not, then i dont stress about it. I find that apporach much easier and less stressful than trying to make her nap at a certain time determined by me iykwim.
    When she was transitioning from 2 naps to just one, about once or twice a week she'd still do 2 naps, the other days just 1 and it took a few weeks before she moved to just one nap regularly.
    My dd will also still go to bed for the night around a similar time within an hour or so, even if she has a later nap or sleeps longer than normal, so i just go with it. Ive never tried to keep her awake to adjust timing of things either. Kinda just coz when im tired, i sleep and when im not tired i dont try to force myself to sleep, so i treat her the same. I think you'll get all different advice fr9m different people with different kids, so id say do what works for you, not necessarily what "experts" or other people say. Or just try all different things until something works (lol thats my mummying approach to everything)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Soz me again, was just re-readiny your post. Maybe if he is really keen for his morning nap, let him have it and then see how he is in the afternoon, he might be happy to just stsy awake until bedtime or maybe if he gets cranky in the arvo coz he's tired again do quiet time/reading or just cuddles not necessarily an arvo nap. I dunno, just chucking ideas out there :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful137 my DD wasn’t resisting the first nap but wouldn’t nap the second nap but I knew her being awake from 11 or so would be a disaster so that’s why we pushed her morning nap later and later.
    As the other mums have said, all kids are different. There’s no right or wrong way to do it. We’re big on a routine, DD thrives on it but that’s not for everyone. I know of others that drop the morning nap and bring the afternoon nap earlier- effectively it’s the same thing really. You’re changing a nap time and cutting a nap.
    Do what you think is right, it’ll all eventually work out, follow your DS signs and his lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another idea, if you’re still wanting to keep 2 naps but he is resisting the afternoon nap you could try his nap 15 minutes later so 2-3:15 and see if that helps.
    13 months is early for 1 nap transition. My DD was also 13 months when we transitioned and looking back I think it was a bit too early and that’s why we struggled a little with some overtiredness