+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    Oh and totally ignore the "should be doing by now-ers". They dont know your kids or you. All kids are different and you know them best. They all do stuff at difderent times and it's no one elses business. I dont think youre doing anything wrong. There is no right or wrong. Just a bunch of mums, dealing with stuff as it arises and trying all the things until we find something that works for us and our families.
    Oh and ive talked to friends who were struggling with potty training and trying everything and mist of them said one day it just clicked and their kids just did it without using any if the strategies they were trying so maybe he just needs more time?
    A lot have said this to me too. That he will just do it in his own time. But I just worry so much that the longer it is, the harder it will be and that he is at further risk of being teased by his peers etc. My anxiety I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by matalee View Post
    Hi,
    DS is 6 and we’ve had BOTH problems you’ve described. First of all he would only poo in a nappy until he was almost 4. I didn’t realise (seems silly not to realise) but he is lactose intolerant so I think sitting on the toilet wasn’t the best experience for him and felt more comfortable doing it in his nappy. He was toilet trained at 2 1/2 but would ask for a nappy when he needed to do a poo.

I don’t have any quick solutions to how we stopped it, just that one day I said this time we’re going to sit on the toilet and he did! But, before that it was always a firm no from him whenever I suggested it. He always struggled with it though and stopped going every day and would hold on until he couldn’t any more. We had a lot of accidents. Which brought us to your 5 year olds problem. He was constipated and had developed encopresis. Have you looked into that? It explains so much.

Here’s a link from the Royal Melbourne Children’s hospital https://www.rch.org.au/kidsconnect/p...resis_Soiling/

I ended up putting him on Parachoc (under a GP’s supervision) and getting the ‘mass’ out over a period of 10 days and it seemed to just fall into place from then. We still have set backs but I try so hard not to get stressed about it.

I hope that helps. There’s heaps more I could tell you so let me know if you want anymore info/advice
    Thank you. I’ll have a read. I’d heard of encopresis but not looked into it properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I wouldn't recommend metamucil in this instance. I have two daughters with encopresis (severe constipation) and we were told not to use it. In our case my daughters had dried masses inside them and poo was going around. One DD was pooing daily, the other was pooing once a fortnight. We were told Metamucil was going to bulk out the poo but not clear the mass.

OP couple of thoughts:
    1. Has your doctor recommended an xray for your 5 year old? That's how the encopresis was diagnosed in one of my daughters - she was blocked from end to end but still managing to poo everyday. I took her to the doctors suspecting coeliac disease as she had continual stomach cramps and had a bloated abdomen. I found movicol was successful in clearing out DD3 but the results were not so great with DD2. She was older when she was diagnosed and has now developed other gut issues. They both regularly do "clear outs" by taking Movicol, generally in the school holidays. Not a cure but it keeps it under control.

2. I would also consider an elimination diet to explore possible food intolerances causing the constipation. (I've tried to do this with DD2 but she is now a teen and flat out refuses).

ETA - Failsafe diet developed by the RPA hospital

https://www.fedup.com.au/
    https://www.slhd.nsw.gov.au/rpa/alle...l/default.html
    Thank you. I’ll enquire about an X-ray at the next appointment. We are currently using movicol as per the GP recommendation and will start weening this week and see how we go. I suspect we will be back at the drs though and an X-ray will be the next step.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HubbleBubble For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (04-07-2019)