+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help with budget meal ideas for holiday

Hi hubbers! I need some ideas\help!

In 3 weeks we are going on a 8 day road trip with DSS7, myself and husband. Our accomodation and activities are sorted (SeaWorld deal with accomodation and theme park entry). However I need help with how I’m going to feed us main meals without spending heaps of $$$ and keeping it reasonably healthy.

We’ve got a butane camp stove and the plan is to just go to a park etc of a night and do our own little BBQ picnic. We will have a fridge in the hotel room.

What are some cheap but tasty ideas for this? Mainly for sides - DSS would be happy with sausage sandwiches every night, but I’m not keen on going that far! We won’t have much in the way of prep/cooking equipment - cutting boards, knives, flat BBQ plate, saucepan and frypan. It’s a 2 day road trip from home, so can’t do much prep at home before leaving. Plus small car so can’t take huge amounts of stuff (I considered packing my TMX to use in the hotel room!).

Breakfast will be cereal in the hotel and being in the theme parks I have to suck it up for lunch I think - we get 10% off at cafes etc in the parks as part of our deal - but I need to cut costs anywhere else I can!

Any ideas?? Or any really cheap eats around the SeaWorld area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there! Your trip will be wonderful! SeaWorld is fabulous. Does your room have a fridge and microwave? If so, I would consider taking frozen home cooked meals if you have eski capacity. The food in the park is expensive. We didn't eat in there- we took snacks and treats into the park. Chopped carrots/ celery plus nut bars etc. Drink prices in the park were huge so take water. Stock up at Australia Fair supermarkets. Nearby cheap eats: fish n chips at the nearby marina. Also, eating out is generally very good value for money including uber eats.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Pcos30 (30-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hi there! Your trip will be wonderful! SeaWorld is fabulous. Does your room have a fridge and microwave? If so, I would consider taking frozen home cooked meals if you have eski capacity. The food in the park is expensive. We didn't eat in there- we took snacks and treats into the park. Chopped carrots/ celery plus nut bars etc. Drink prices in the park were huge so take water. Stock up at Australia Fair supermarkets. Nearby cheap eats: fish n chips at the nearby marina. Also, eating out is generally very good value for money including uber eats.
    We have a fridge in the room, but no microwave.

No eski capacity - we only have a small car and a small eski. Can't possibly fit a bigger one in with luggage etc. I'm even wondering how we are going to fit our suitcases in!

Planning on taking snacks in with us, but snacks won't keep husband and DSS satisfied. I'm happy with snacks, but they need more than what I'll be able to squish in a backpack. And we all drink so much water that I'll be taking as much as we can reasonably carry!

Eating out for us is never cheap, with the way husband and DSS eat! Fish and chips for us here in Canberra ends up being over $30 and they're still hungry!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    the no microwave in the room really blows as you could do quite a bit with a microwave...

breakfast is easy - cereal at the hotel room. could throw in some yoghurt too to mix things up?

lunch/snacks - what about taking some cans of tuna/canned chicken and buying a loaf of bread and making tuna/chicken sandwiches? could buy a bag of mixed lettuce and some cheese slices and take some mayo with you and make basic sambos. you could take these into the theme park with you in an insulated bag if you really want to save money buying lunch/snacks.

is taking a small sandwich maker an option? you could have toasted sandwiches (which feel more substantial than fresh sandwiches) plus you can also cook eggs on a sandwich press (dh just discovered that this week ). so you could try and find a coles/woolworths/iga/foodworks and buy some eggs and do fried eggs as a snack or to expand on lunch/snacks.

dinner could be a pot of pasta with some stir through sauce. if you’re taking a fry pan you could fry off some pancetta or bacon and toss that through too.

don’t forget things like baked beans too...you could heat those up with toast and a fried egg for a very simple dinner.

sausages and bread for super simple hot dogs.

cup a soup/any other instant type foods you can reconstitute with a kettle of boiled water (i assume the room has a kettle ). the sandwich toaster could be used in the room to toast bread too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

littleriv (30-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Might be worth contacting Seaworld to see if there is microwave access or perhaps you could request one in your room? If not, I agree with Tins of Tuna , salad, buns, yogurt, bbq chicken etc. If you gave a car Australia Fair is a 5 min dive- they have everything there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sometimes hotels have microwaves that you can ask to have put in your room.
    Its def worth asking in quick email or telephone.

Eating in seaworld is expensive and mostly deep fried.
    If youre staying nearby and can get some lunch supplies might be worth planning a midday break back at the hotel to eat & refill drink bottles etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your closest supermarket will be Australia fair so not quite 10min drive. It’s on the opp did side of the spit to the right. There’s a great fish and chip up at Labrador where the pelicans come in for food that the fish shop will feed them, ie the scraps from gutting and filleting fish etc.

Kmart is at Australia fair if there is no toaster in your room and the resort won’t supply one if buy one for $7. If you have an electric frypan take that with you

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have stayed at SeaWorld resort before- you can totally nip back to you room for lunch from Sea world , I would just make sandwiches for lunchtime and then you could eat out/ uber eats for dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are headed to qld in a few weeks too and have kitchen facilities but are keeping it pretty simple.
    We are taking a small toasted sandwich maker. Will use that to make French toast (a favourite for ds) will also be buying some croissants and ham or chicken and having them as breakfast options, we will use the toasted sandwich maker to do them. Will have cereal and yoghurt too.

We are taking a fry pan and having tacos for dinner one night (again, ds loves tacos lol) and will probably use wraps from tacos to make ds wraps for lunches some days. He would eat wraps breakfast lunch and dinner lol

I think if you can go back to your room for lunch and filling drink bottles you will save a fortune. Our plan for places is to take our own water and probably buy lunch but won’t be buying breakfast and most dinners. I will be making sure we have plenty of snacks in our bag to save money. DS isn’t big on snacking and he also isn’t a big eater so we are lucky there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breakfasts are easy - cereal, porridge made with boiling water, etc. maybe some nice danishes etc from the bakery.
    lunch - Sandwiches or wraps with cold meats and salad. Maybe some nice sourdough bread from the bakery or supermarket.
    Dinner - cheese platter, cold meats, etc. Or if you’re using the camp stove you can make anything really!

Can you take the camp stove on the plane? It might be good to confirm this.
    From home it would be good to bring a pan, tongs, chopping board, sharp knife, a few plastic containers.
    If the fridge is small you can buy UHT milk.