+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which public hospital catchment - Altona VIC

Hi everyone!

We just found out last week that we are having a baby and are incredibly excited. We have began researching on hospitals. It is all too confusing! We do not have private health insurance and will be relying on the public system.

The two closest hospitals to us are Sunshine and Werribee Mercy. Our GP said she things Sunshine is normally where Altona residents go. She wasnt definitive on this though.

Mercy is a 15min drive and Sunshine is a 20min drive. Mercy is also much better by train for us.

How do I find out which hospital catchment area I am in? There is nothing online I spent the last few hours searching.

Thanks for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

congrats on your pregnancy!

we are in a neighboring suburb to you and went public for our first and were zoned for sunshine or werribee mercy. we did a tour of each and it was werribee mercy hands down for us. it used to be a private hospital and still had that nice small private feel. rooms were big with queen beds and partner is able to stay if you get a room like this. en suite was shared with one other room. all up i found the experience in terms of the hospital amenities fine, pretty good for a public hospital we felt. we looked at sunshine and i was instantly put off, the single rooms were like jail cells and it was just a single hospital bed with a fold
    our couch for partners to sleep on. this was 2015/16 though, i’ve heard sunshine has undergone some renovations since then. we went private for our second baby and had her at frances perry house (part of the women’s in parkville). comparing rooms and hospital amenities, FPH room was pretty poor for a private facility...small and no storage space. we got a room with a view so the trade off was a single hospital bed with an ancient fold out which dh stayed on. there are other rooms with no view that have bigger beds,
    however we never saw those as we transferred to the hyatt on day 3 under the parenting program.

my advice would be do a tour of both sunshine and werribee and see which one you prefer then apply as early as you can to get booked in.

we found mercy much easier to drive to as you just hope straight on the freeway and it’s basically at the freeway exit. sunshine would be harder to get to and more traffic to contend with i reckon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Sunshine hospital had a brand new building for the maternity and children’s wards. I would check it out before deciding where to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call the hospital. They will be able to tell you if you are zoned to them.

Sunshine has just opened the new Joan Kirner Womens and Children’s which I have heard really good things about from people who have had their babies there already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was zoned to both for my first (2017) with Werribee much easier to get to. I had a really great experience there, shared midwife care & the head OBs at the later stage of the pregnancy. Emergency CS was scary but the team was brilliant. Scored a private room & DF encouraged to stay overnight.
    We’ve moved, in a neighbouring suburb to you, and zoned for Werribee and Sunshine still. With the new centre at Sunshine, we’re thinking of there for my current pregnancy (I have a friend who is a midwife there and says it’s schmick ). Would happily go back to Werribee but I’m slightly higher risk this time and they may not take me - Sunshine is better equiped.

ETA: Both pregnancies my local GPs knew which hospitals I was zoned to. No research needed!
    Last edited by MUG81; 29-06-2019 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyninja View Post
    Call the hospital. They will be able to tell you if you are zoned to them.

Sunshine has just opened the new Joan Kirner Womens and Children’s which I have heard really good things about from people who have had their babies there already.
    Sorry to hijack... Does anyone know if they have decommissioned the old birthing suites/maternity ward now they have opened up the new building at Sunshine?