+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Plastic Free July

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I have one of these as well as beeswax wraps.
    https://www.house.com.au/fuel-reusab...ich-wrap-green
    It's mostly made of plastic so not the 'best' thing but it doesn't melt onto your sandwich at all if it gets a bit of sun. Very durable.

Baking paper isn't plastic but it is single use (or 2-3 for cookies) and is highly processed. It's silicone coated paper, so both paper and silicone have lengthy processes to make alone. I'm guilty of using it and need to find better trays that don't need it. I have an aluminium cake pan which is quite good, but apparently that's toxic too (along with Teflon!). My silicone pan is good, but the silicone mat I got (after watching too much masterchef was a bit disappointing.
    I didn’t think about the one use side of it, or what it’s coated with 🤦‍♀️. I re-use it for biscuits, but you can’t with cakes or banana bread etc. I do use too many patty pans for muffins for DH. I tried without, in a silicone pan, but they dry out quicker.

I will look into other wrap options though. I use glad wrap to wrap our cut cheese too. I use a lot of Tupperware fridge containers for a lot of things, but there’s only so much space in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    My daughter got kindly given one of these LOL dolls today and look how much plastic was used to wrap one tiny plastic doll ( highlighted ).. makes me crazy! The company should be fined for all the landfill they are creating
    DD got one for her birthday too and I thought the same. Hers was a doll, a pet and some other little bits, but there was so MUCH plastic wrap and little bags. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by Californication; 02-07-2019 at 14:13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (01-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I use glade wrap to wrap our cut cheese too.
    You really want to try a beeswax wrap for cheese, I find it works so well. I fold over the original packaging then cover the end with the beeswax wrap and rub it to sort of melt it sealed. That way the wrap doesn't touch the cheese so doesn't need washing to get greasy cheese off.

I did get some wraps not long ago that had had some oil added which is really smelly (like a tea tree type smell). So definitely a word of warning - smell before you buy! Lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Californication (02-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Please tell me this doesn't apply to cellulose based plastics (eg. I'm currently using sugar cane based bin liners)?
    Anything that goes in your waste bin that the council collects goes into landfill. So it doesn’t matter if it’s biodegradable or not. Actually biodegradable stuff in landfill isn’t great as it generates gas as it breaks down. Biodegradable stuff is only really useful if you are going to put it in your compost bin or something. Or if it’s a product that may accidentally end up in the environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Do you have problems with maggots in your wheelie bin doing this?
    I use bin liners and still get maggots 🤢

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-bubhub View Post
    Wow, that is a crazy amount of waste - even worse that most of it's not recyclable - for one toy (that's made of plastic).

I just think about the amount of waste we create on Christmas Day when the whole family is gathered. The packaging from the presents for the younger kids is just phenomenal.

We do no presents for bday. We have 5 kids, and older ones invite whole class and the one year i let them have the presents, we ended we so much stuff we didnt need. Unnecessary stuff gives me anxiety
    So we give a present that the child really wants, that we try source second hand, and a special day of experience, like a trampoline world, laser fight etc. And they are allowed to invite whoever they want to the party, which is planned so that it generates minimal waste.
    For xmas, we wrap presents in pillowcases. They actua,ly look great. What a waste of money to buy wrapping paper, only to rip it and toss in the bin

For other people we buy movie tickets or just put few dollars in with a homemade card.

Ok, so I am a stay at home mum, so I have some time to do things from scratch and plan

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirena89 For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (01-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've only just realised that you can't put shredded paper into the recycle bin. You can put it in a compost bin if it's ordinary paper or newspaper. Not that I shred that much anyway.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-bubhub For This Useful Post:

Californication (02-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-bubhub View Post
    I've only just realised that you can't put shredded paper into the recycle bin. You can put it in a compost bin if it's ordinary paper or newspaper. Not that I shred that much anyway.
    What?! Why?!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (02-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah (not that i shred stuff) but how come you can put paper but not shredded paper??? I thought that'd just make it easier to recycle it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    What?! Why?!
    It jams the machines.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (02-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    And apparently it's too small and it falls through the sorting machines and ends up in general waste.

I saw somewhere about plastic bottle tops too. But I always put those in recycling - taken off the bottle as they are often different colours.