+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didnt realise you could return soft plastics to Coles, so glad I found this thread and I'll plan to do that. I find it more likely to actually happen if I work on 1 thing at a time.

We take our unwanted sift toys to Vinnies, they have so many though that they are all in a big tub to take for free. It's crazt the amount of stuff the world produces. Im sure if they just stopped making stuffed toys and baby clothes there'd already be enough existing in the world in garbage bags in people's garages to supply everyone for years.
    I also try Marie Kondo phillosophy, in that we already just have too much stuff so I really just dont buy "stuff" anymore. I avoid going to $2 shops coz i just leave with plastic crap stuff, have stopped decorating and party planning using plastic stuff and make my own decorations out of paper and use picnic set reusable crockery and cutlery we already own, stop buying usless trinkets for people at christmas and just bake something or make something. Stopped buying mass produced birthday cards. Its more fun and meaningful and enjoyable, i find. I kinda get a kick out of challenging myself to go without and see how I make do.
    Others might think its gross, but i just dont use bin liners at all in the kitchen. Just have a bucket under the sink, empty it each day and give it a quick rinse once emptied. Every now and them I wipe it out with disinfectant.
    I definitely should start using a keep cup but i hate drinking my coffee out of plastic and glass. I like a ceramic cup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    Others might think its gross, but i just dont use bin liners at all in the kitchen. Just have a bucket under the sink, empty it each day and give it a quick rinse once emptied. Every now and them I wipe it out with disinfectant..
    Do you have problems with maggots in your wheelie bin doing this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Do you have problems with maggots in your wheelie bin doing this?
    I dont know? I dont really look in there. Just chuck the rubbish in. Although in thinking about it, when its just been emptied and i throw the first bucket in, ive never noticed any but ive never really looked properly. I totally get this isnt for some people, each to their own. I have a friend who washes out her wheelie bin every week and i cant understand why coz its a bin full of filth but she thinks its totally gross that i dont wash out my bin ??? :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess if there were they'd belong in the bin anyway and get chucked when the bin is emptied and it doesnt really matter to me of the maggots are lose in the bin or contained in bags in the bin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    I dont know? I dont really look in there. Just chuck the rubbish in. Although in thinking about it, when its just been emptied and i throw the first bucket in, ive never noticed any but ive never really looked properly. I totally get this isnt for some people, each to their own. I have a friend who washes out her wheelie bin every week and i cant understand why coz its a bin full of filth but she thinks its totally gross that i dont wash out my bin ??? :-)
    I live in Qld and if a fly gets in the wheelie bin (generally summer) I get maggots spilling down the sides. It's pretty gross. I've been tempted to just toss rubbish directly in the wheelie bin but the fly/ maggot issue makes me wonder if it is a good idea. Was curious whether or not it's an issue for you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Californication (01-07-2019),gorgeousgeorge (29-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Guilty is this for DH’s lunches. He likes his wrap wrapped so it won’t fall apart. I should invest in beeswax ones.

What’s wrong with baking paper? I haven’t heard that one before and we do a bit of baking here.
    I have one of these as well as beeswax wraps.
    https://www.house.com.au/fuel-reusab...ich-wrap-green
    It's mostly made of plastic so not the 'best' thing but it doesn't melt onto your sandwich at all if it gets a bit of sun. Very durable.

Baking paper isn't plastic but it is single use (or 2-3 for cookies) and is highly processed. It's silicone coated paper, so both paper and silicone have lengthy processes to make alone. I'm guilty of using it and need to find better trays that don't need it. I have an aluminium cake pan which is quite good, but apparently that's toxic too (along with Teflon!). My silicone pan is good, but the silicone mat I got (after watching too much masterchef was a bit disappointing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I live in Qld and if a fly gets in the wheelie bin (generally summer) I get maggots spilling down the sides. It's pretty gross. I've been tempted to just toss rubbish directly in the wheelie bin but the fly/ maggot issue makes me wonder if it is a good idea. Was curious whether or not it's an issue for you.
    Aaah, i live in southern nsw and its only really hot for 2 months of summer so that might be it. I do put bubbas nappies in a bag in the bin. Yeah though ive never had them spilling out of the bin. Would definitely bag stuff if that happened! (Im a bit gross but not that gross)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Plastic Free July

Hi All,
    After doing a uni assignment on plastic I try and be as plastic free as I can. It’s so hard with children’s birthday’s though and this is a prime example. My daughter got kindly given one of these LOL dolls today and look how much plastic was used to wrap one tiny plastic doll ( highlighted ).. makes me crazy! The company should be fined for all the landfill they are creating

IMG_2470.jpg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (01-07-2019),Californication (01-07-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Wow, that is a crazy amount of waste - even worse that most of it's not recyclable - for one toy (that's made of plastic).

I just think about the amount of waste we create on Christmas Day when the whole family is gathered. The packaging from the presents for the younger kids is just phenomenal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Spotted this article over the weekend.

Vanuatu are proposing to ban disposable nappies.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-had-no-choice

Has anyone tried compostable nappies - like Eenee?