+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think eventually, all stores / manufacturers should have a return/recycling policy for their product. So if you sell mattresses, you must also take and recycle old mattresses. And bottles should be returnable. Why do we need to smash, melt down and reform a perfectly good glass bottle, for example?

I don't have the time/energy to make my own sauces etc all the time from scratch, and we keep quite a few of our old bottles and use them for other things, but it seems silly to me that the other bottles can't just be taken back somewhere, washed and reused by manufacturers. Wine bottles for example - I'm never going to make my own wine, I'm confident I'm going to keep drinking it and there are only so many old wine bottles you can use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I like what @Stretched said about cooking snacks. That is probably the most packaging we have too - rice crackers, chips and savoury crackers.

We do make our own cookies most of the time (although chocolate digestives are on special at woolies atm...)

I made some cheese biscuits the other day. Very tasty - so tasty that they were all gone immediately and that didn't solve the problem at all! And we needed packets for the next day!

We use silicon liners on the baking trays - got some at our local DFO for $6 each. Still use baking paper for really sticky things that are hard to clean though, like bbq ribs.

And we still buy meat from the supermarket as the local butcher is way, way more expensive. Why does it need to be in those trays?

Oh, and with DH's chicken from Red Rooster - we use the bones and boil them up for homemade chicken stock.

Anybody got some good recipes for savoury crackers, rice crackers, that type of thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something they mentioned in the 2040 Movie. The search engine Ecosia gives their profits to planting trees. It says over 60 million planted so far.

https://www.ecosia.org/

I've switched to that as my default search engine on my desktop. And I'll try and work out how to do that on my phone too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-bubhub For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (28-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was putting detergent in the washing machine this morning and finished the bottle off. It got me thinking, is there anywhere in Perth I can go for refills instead of buying another plastic bottle? Same with things like bleach, washing up liquid, all the cleaning products, shampoos etc.

We use reusable pouches for lunchboxes, have the yumbox type so no packaging, reusable shopping bags, don't use straws anymore, hard lunch boxes for DH & I instead of cling wrap, we take all out soft plastics back to the collection point at Woolies.

I showed my DD's the Earth song and that hit home a bit with the older one.

I also found this online

https://brightside.me/article/30-sim...-planet-92205/

I think its really sad where we are headed as a planet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've made this recipe a while back. I think I didn't sprinkle the parmesan on top as experience tells me it just burns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...50d8fe53b9ac9b

I'd love more recipes for savoury crackers that aren't super buttery though!

With laundry liquid, I get the 4l Earth Choice one.

I don't know if you are SOR, but last time I was in WA I noticed a new shop in Halls Head called 'The Glass Jar' which is a bulk foods store (bought my beeswax wraps there). If you are far from there they may know of someone similar close to you so you could always send them an email.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have so much more to do but we are working towards being less waste. I am aiming for progress not perfection and I find I stick to things better if I make and sustain one small change at a time.

- Slowly replacing (as needed, they break etc) our plastic containers with glass or stainless steel
    - Don't use produce bags, just pop my loose fruit and veg in the trolley (I do tend to buy the bulk bags of some stuff though as it is cheaper)
    - Stainless steel lunchboxes for kids, use glass jars to transport my smoothies to work, reusable yoghurt pouches etc
    - stainless steel straws (although I often forget to ask for no straw )
    - In a co-op and buy some of my staples in bulk
    - Make some of my own beauty products and most of my cleaning products
    - Switch to bamboo toothbrushes (just need to remember to compost the handle when done)
    - Take our own drink bottles when we go out

Plan for my next changes
    - Get rid of glad wrap. I have all the stuff to make beeswax wraps I just need to set aside time to do it.
    - When we move to our new place will set up a compost bin and I want a bokashi bin for my other food scraps
    - When we move to our new place start growing more of our own produce and buy chooks for composting and eggs
    - Start brewing my own Kombucha so I stop buying the overly expensive plastic bottles of it.

Of course there is so much more to do but once I change a habit and make it a way of life I will be able to slowly make more and more changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I should add, we have chooks but they eat surprisingly few scraps and anything they don't like just rots. I failed at composting (sour sludge anyone?) but even when I took out my veg scraps it was such a small % of my landfill.

I was dig composting straight into the veggie garden for a while but the whole garden is currently neglected due to renovations.

Another waste saver is we don't upgrade technology just because. The family ipad (it's a 1 or 2?) has a screen held together mostly with sticky tape. Phones only get replaced if they are destroyed (fallen out of pocket on a boat, slammed in a car door or if they are bricked (Unfortunately happened to the only phone I ever spent more than $150 on!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Please tell me this doesn't apply to cellulose based plastics (eg. I'm currently using sugar cane based bin liners)?
    Sorry, i would have to look that one up. Havent heard of it yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get really upset when I see places that still use plastic straws.
    Paper is a good alternative for businesses, why not use it?
    Why not ban plastic straws, baloons, plastic plates and cutlery that are single use, and I would also ban ta coffee cups, plastic bags (paper is great alternative here too) and selling bottled water. Surely we can live without those in Australia. Maybe sell only huge bulk bottles for areas affected by drought?

And yes, it really makes sense to me to have a return station for alcohol bottles to be returned to factory, washed and reused. If all wine came in same type bottles and all beers in same type bottles then the nearest factory could buy them off return station, clean and refill. Same for milk, there should be a glass option in supermarkets...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirena89 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (28-06-2019),BH-bubhub (29-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone explain to me why are we importing food? Surely Australia can produce enough for all that live in Australia.
    I get things like coconut and rice fir eg., but I dont get why we import tomato sauces, pastas, cherries from america..