+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default soda stream - do you have one?

we drink a fair bit of sparkling water at our place and i’m thinking the contribution to waste from the plastic bottles could be eliminated with a soda stream machine.

i’ve had a look on the website and they have so many models!! i thought it was just the one machine. i found it a bit confusing but watched the instruction videos for each and have narrowed my preferences down to the source or the spirit.

for those that have a sodastream, what do you think? how often do you use it? are the ongoing costs worth it as compared to buying the sparkling water in the disposable bottles?

any other issues or words of warning i should know about before taking the plunge?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have a look at this thread I did on the same subject TC, I ended up buying one (thanks to all the helpful advice and suggestions from Hubbers) for my DH and we haven't looked back! No more lugging bottles of soda water home the shops and we're still using the same gas, so no on-going costs (until we need to replace that) and DH uses it every day. Loved it in summer, I always had a little dish of sliced lime and lemon in the fridge and it was so refreshing to have our own soda water on tap so to speak.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (25-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH bought me a soda stream for xmas. i was drinking at least a 1.25l bottle of soda water every day. i like mine very fizzy. costwise i go through a gas canister every 2-3wks ($19). its probably not saving me money but its easier than buying so many bottles and i think it must be better for environment

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve had one since 1989 ! Albeit different models though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have and love our soda stream. We have a spare gas bottle so we never run out
    For us, the main benefits are less plastic, less buying soda water every other day, and don't have to worry about drinking flat soda water the next day.
    You can now swap the bottles off the shelf at Woolies, heaps easier.
    ETA- I've also made tonic water in it, but that's about it. Haven't really bothered with any of the flavours
    Last edited by SJ565; 25-06-2019 at 19:21.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Have a look at this thread I did on the same subject TC, I ended up buying one (thanks to all the helpful advice and suggestions from Hubbers) for my DH and we haven't looked back! No more lugging bottles of soda water home the shops and we're still using the same gas, so no on-going costs (until we need to replace that) and DH uses it every day. Loved it in summer, I always had a little dish of sliced lime and lemon in the fridge and it was so refreshing to have our own soda water on tap so to speak.
    sorry i should’ve searched before i posted. my bad!!

ok hopefully not a stupid question but i’m
    seeing references to “soda water”..... i know it’s called a soda stream but isn’t soda water different to sparkling water? we just buy those coles sparkling waters, not the coles soda water.

will the sodastream make soda water or sparkling water??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no need to apologise hon, I only mentioned it as it was of help to me and thought it might give you some ideas too.

Oooh, good question, I honestly thought sparkling water was the same as soda water, but happy to be corrected if I am clueless! I bought it for DH as he and I like bubbles in our water, and that's what the Soda stream does, makes the water fizzy, but if I ever 'buy' it when I am out, I buy 'sparkling water' which to me is what the soda stream does.

I do know that 'Soda water' from the supermarket contains salt, so maybe the sparkling water doesn't? I really don't know. Eta: Carbonated water is really what they are.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 25-06-2019 at 20:02.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Yep, read this thread. I love our soda stream, use it all year round (more in summer of course). I have soda water every dinner time. Saves SO much plastic and money. We have a pretty basic one and it’s totally fine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (25-06-2019),turquoisecoast (25-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    sorry i should’ve searched before i posted. my bad!!

ok hopefully not a stupid question but i’m
    seeing references to “soda water”..... i know it’s called a soda stream but isn’t soda water different to sparkling water? we just buy those coles sparkling waters, not the coles soda water.

will the sodastream make soda water or sparkling water??
    Technically, soda water is plain water with carbon dioxide added to form bubbles. There may also be some added minerals.

Sparkling water is usually spring water that naturally contains the minerals and bubbles but ‘may have some added’. That’s why you see the ‘lightly sparkling’ versions say from the Italian alps.

Honestly if you are buying a mass produced product like Coles sparkling water then I suspect there’s very little real difference as that seems to fall into the ‘extra bubbles added’ camp. Before I had a soda stream, I bought their mineral water/soda water interchangeably.

Soda stream you use tap water and the machine adds the bubbles for you. You can choose how much bubbles to add - which is great - but takes a few goes at first to hit the sweet spot.

I have the Source one. I think it both saves me money and saves on lugging heavy bags and throwing out plastic.

R

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Risa78 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey (25-06-2019),PinkPopsicle (25-06-2019),SJ565 (25-06-2019),turquoisecoast (25-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We bought the cheapest model around 6 years ago as I was fed up buying bottles of soda water at the supermarket which went flat before they were finished. Saved us so much money in the long run and gets used daily.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (26-06-2019)