+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not sitting at almost 8 months?

Hi All,

My girl will be 8 months on the 2nd of Nov but isn't really sitting unassisted yet. Is it a core strength issue? What can I do to help things along?

Otherwise, she does all the usual things - rolls front to back, gets on her knees, propels herself forward. Not much of a crawler but she can pull herself up and stand for short periods of time when holding onto railing.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not sure what you mean by 'sitting' . ? Do you mean bub getting into a sitting position from laying on her back . ?? or if you 'sit' her, she can't hold the position?? Is bub only 4 months old?? "she will be 8 months on 2nd Nov"" . Why are you worrying about her sitting at 8 months when she is only 4 months now.?? or am I confused. Marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    going by the OP’s other posts, she currently has a 7 month old baby so i assume november should actually read july and it’s a typo.

if you’re concerned i would go see my mchn or gp for their thoughts. i would’ve thought a baby should be sitting by 8 months but as always, there’s a wide range of what’s normal so she may just be taking her time with sitting. how’s her muscle tone otherwise? is she strong? good head control?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A physio told me once, babies aren’t meant to sit independently when you “sit” them. They’re meant to crawl and rock back to a sitting position. Mine were early crawlers and weren’t quite sitting on their own at 8 months so I’d say it’s well in normal realm. Could ask at your next checkup.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Elevatormusic (26-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD crawled at 6 months but took ages to sit... probably 8 months or so. She just wasn’t interested and preferred to move. I was getting a tad worried but she was perfectly fine. It’s a good sign if your daughter can do all the other gross motor skills and she may just need more time. But definitely check with you CHN/GP if you are concerned

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops, the 2nd of November is her birth date,she'll be 8 months on the 2nd of July.

She topples on her siden or forward whenever I put her in a sitting position - I'm guessing she might need more floor time? I'll mention it to the GP next appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatormusic View Post
    Oops, the 2nd of November is her birth date,she'll be 8 months on the 2nd of July.

She topples on her siden or forward whenever I put her in a sitting position - I'm guessing she might need more floor time? I'll mention it to the GP next appointment.
    my ds started doing a very short and probably wobbly tripod sit around 5 months. i’d mention it next time you see the gp or
    mchn if you’re concerned.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Elevatormusic (26-06-2019)