+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Singapore!

So I’m trying to convince DH to go to Singapore for 5 days in September for the F1 Grand Prix. We’ll be in Bali the week before so it seems silly not to go, when it is definitely something that he would love. Anyway I’m looking for accommodation, but because we’re not millionaires (wishful thinking haha) I’m looking for accom <$1000 total for the 5 nights I’m looking at. This doesn’t give us a lot of options given everything is more expensive because of the Grand Prix. It is basically 3 stars or less. Which doesn’t really bother me but I don’t want to end up being in a dodgy area/hotel either. I don’t know anything about Singapore except that it’s exceptionally clean and the zoo is supposed to be fab haha. Can anyone help me on where I should be looking? Ideally within walking distance to the track (which goes in around the city centre/past Marina Bay Sands -if that helps), but otherwise easily accessed by a short trip in taxi/public transport. Obviously we will have DD with us so that needs to be of consideration too. I am a chronic over thinker so I’m sure that is probably not helping Either way I need to convince DH this is a feasible option. We should be able to get all our flights sorted with our velocity points so the only expense we’re looking at is accommodation/spending money. I need to sell it to him hard because we never have a decent family holiday and I feel like this just NEEDS to happen!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi mlady'em, I would not be worried about being in walking distance to the track. You will pay a premium price to be there, and the public transport is so fantastic, you can get anywhere easily. marie.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (17-06-2019),MLadyEm (17-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi mlady'em, I would not be worried about being in walking distance to the track. You will pay a premium price to be there, and the public transport is so fantastic, you can get anywhere easily. marie.
    Thanks @SuperGranny. Any recommendations on areas to stay or to avoid? I’m under the impression that Singapore is a pretty safe place to visit so I’m not too stressed about a dodgy area, I guess just somewhere suitable for DD. Walking distance was more for ease with DD in a stroller than anything, but I’m open to all suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My folks stayed at the York hotel last year and where really happy with it. Think it’s on orchid road ? Or close to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    My folks stayed at the York hotel last year and where really happy with it. Think it’s on orchid road ? Or close to
    I just googled them, cheapest price is over $2k for the 5 nights

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did try to convince DH we should stay at Marina Bay Sands... only $3k for the “cheap” room

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stayed at The York about 6 years ago with kids for 5 nights and it was way cheaper than that so the Grand Prix must definitely be pushing prices up. Other than that - we stayed at Shangri-La on Sentosa but that is out of the way and that was more expensive for 3 nights there than 5 in the city!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unsure of your specific dates but I try and stay close to Newton, orchard Road seems to be very expensive so I try the hotels on scotts Road. Last time we stayed at sheraton towers for around $100aud and loved it. Friends stayed at the Robertson Quay Hotel and liked it they have 3 children and required 2 rooms. Taxis are cheap and easy. Again I'm totally unsure what the city is like when a large event is going on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieDE For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (18-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I just googled them, cheapest price is over $2k for the 5 nights
    I just looked at bookings.com unless you want to stay in homestay that’s under $1k. Seems even the cheap places which really don’t exist there anymore as it’s so westernised now don’t exist. He might have to settle for the Melb one if you can’t get a fantastic deal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I just looked at bookings.com unless you want to stay in homestay that’s under $1k. Seems even the cheap places which really don’t exist there anymore as it’s so westernised now don’t exist. He might have to settle for the Melb one if you can’t get a fantastic deal
    There are definitely places available for the right price, and a couple that look ok it’s more just location being the big thing I’m not sure about.

He’s done the Melbourne one a few times. He’s not even pushing for this, I am haha. I had said to him that if the price is right we can do it as a Father’s Day (sept) and/or birthday (oct) present for him.