+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg donor babies and breastfeeding

If I have a baby from a donor egg will it reject my breast milk because it will know that I’m not it’s genetic mother? Will it reject the milk I make because I have different DNA to it’s “meant to have been” egg donor mother?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No. This won't be a problem at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not at all. It won't have any impact on your ability to feed your baby My DD is from egg donation and I fed her until 14 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @JWC The baby has no idea that your not it’s “genetic” mother, the baby knows you as it’s mother, just as your body and breast knows it’s your baby. I really find this question unusual, when body has accepted the pregnancy, why wouldn’t it produce milk to feed your baby? There is no difference, your baby is fully dependant on you and your body to grow it, you are your babies biological mother.
    Last edited by stacey10; 16-06-2019 at 14:07.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (16-06-2019),Kalina (16-06-2019),RubyT78 (17-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @JWC you might find it interesting to google egg donation and epigentics. It’s really quite fascinating. Even though it’s not your egg, your genes also play a role. Basically as the baby develops your body helps choose which genes are turned on.

As @stacey10 said, the baby has been growing in your body for 9 months, you were its home, it’s not going to reject you because of a few genes it knows nothing about. It’s gotten to know you during that time, your voice, your heartbeat etc. Also remember it used to be very common once upon a time for wealthy women to hire wet nurses to breastfeed their babies. So genetics definitely play no part in breastfeeding.

There’s an analogy that is quoted on here a bit about egg donation. Imagine you are baking a cake. You pull out the butter, flour, milk, sugar etc and realise you don’t have any eggs. You pop over to the neighbours and borrow an egg. Then you go home and cream the butter, beat the eggs, mix in the flour, sugar, milk. You bake the cake - checking on it now and then. You let it cool, then make the icing and decorate it. Whose cake is it? Yours or your neighbours?

Best of luck with your decision xx

R

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    @JWC The baby has no idea that your not it’s “genetic” mother, the baby knows you as it’s mother, just as your body and breast knows it’s your baby. I really find this question unusual, when body has accepted the pregnancy, why wouldn’t it produce milk to feed your baby? There is no difference, your baby is fully dependant on you and your body to grow it, you are your babies biological mother.
    Yes i found this question quite strange too. I read and initially decided not to reply as I wasnt sure it was for real. Babies dont reject formula because their not related genetically to the manufacturers. Adopted babies dont "reject" their adopted mothers because they are not related to them. ??? I dont want to cause offense by saying i found this a very odd thing to ask but to be honest, im almost offended by the question itself I do hope its a genuine question and I guess you wont know if you dont ask but I think OP definitely needs to do a bit more reading/learning and research. :-)
    Last edited by gorgeousgeorge; 16-06-2019 at 17:49.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (16-06-2019),Kalina (16-06-2019),RubyT78 (17-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The answer is no. Milk is milk to a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also babies have donor breastmilk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JWC View Post
    If I have a baby from a donor egg will it reject my breast milk because it will know that I’m not it’s genetic mother? Will it reject the milk I make because I have different DNA to it’s “meant to have been” egg donor mother?
    @JWC I assume from your post that you're not pregnant, and that egg donation is something you're only thinking about right now for one reason or another...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just also have to add... newborn babies dont have any knowledge of genetics and dna, so I guess that's why I found it a strange question.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Kalina (16-06-2019)