+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting rid of dummy...toddler?

When/how did you get rid of the dummy for your toddler??

My 2 year old has a dummy for sleep. He’d have it all day if we let him. I used to think that I didn’t mind how long he had it for as it’s only for sleep times but recently he’s started asking for it randomly in the day then having a meltdown when he doesn’t get it and these meltdowns are epic.

Do I try to get rid of it soonish (I feel like the older he gets and more language skills he has, the more attached he is) or leave him be?

Thanks
    Reviews

We tried when DD was 2 and a half with the dummy fairy. It was agony for us all. It would take over an hour (sometimes two) for her to fall asleep at night. Severe tantrums. We caved and gave it back to her after almost two weeks.

She’s 3 now and has recently been unwell and had her dummy more. The tantrums have started again when she can’t have it whilst awake. Today I just pierced a hole in it. I can’t bear to take it away from her again but read an approach to “reset the brain” by removing the satisfaction of sucking. The small hole deflates it and therefore won’t be as satisfying. We hope eventually she tosses it aside on her own rather than have the trauma of it being taken from her.

Saying that, I have heard of many successes with the dummy fairy, “losing the dummy” etc. Whatever approach you choose, just make sure you are in the headspace to offer lots more comfort and try to remain patient. It’s hard!

Let’s hope some other hubbers jump in with some success stories because I need them too!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

MissMooMumma (12-06-2019),skye76 (12-06-2019),Yogis Mumma (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m going to be absolutely no help OP as I’m in exactly the same situation. I’m following for ideas.

DD is just over 2 and we limit to sleep times and nappy changes. We’ve been getting tantrums during the day when we don’t let her have one for a while now.

I think I just need to get tougher but I like my sleep too much lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m glad it’s not just me experiencing a child who melts down in the day when they want the dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD became more and more attached to it after she turned 2.
    We were pretty adamant about it being only for sleeps, but she would go get it, or find one she'd hidden and just show up with it. We'd then have to take it off her with the whole only for sleeps story.
    We were pretty unsure about how to take it away completely, especially as both the dentist and speech pathologist had pointed out that it had changed her bite and given her a lisp.
    We got lucky in the end- we couldn't find a dummy one night and she went to bed without asking for it. Next night, same thing happened. She did ask for it after about a week, but by that time we knew it was possible. We had previously talked about sending the dummy to the hospital for the babies to have, and so we told her that's where they were.
    It luckily corresponded with an increase in "I'm not a baby, im a big girl" and "I do it myself" talk, so we were able to put dummy use into the baby not big girl category. This was about 2 months ago, when she was about 3y+2m. We probably should have done it earlier, but at least it was painless (and her teeth should come good)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our DS was a bit older when we got rid of the dummy. Like your child, he only had it for sleeping. We knew we had to put a stop to it, but because he was such a good sleeper with the dummy, we let him have it for longer than we should have.

In the end, we went cold turkey. He got to a stage where he had one more dummy left and we warned him once that one was lost/broken then we wouldn't be buying more. Once that last dummy was gone, he was told 'no more dummies'. He protested at first, but 2 days later he was over it and we didn't look back.

At 2, I don't think it's urgent to get him to give them up, but if it's bothering you then I'd consider it time to stop. You might have to put up with some raging meltdowns for the first two days whilst the habit is being broken, but he will get over it once he knows you're not giving in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

I’m also going to be no help but am following for tips. DD will be 3 in July & the “doe” (as she calls it) situation is hard. It’s always been her comforter, some kids have a toy, blankie etc mine is her doe. We try to limit her to bed time & quite time in the arvo unless she’s sick she has it more but she always manages to find them & be like “mumma I found my doe” lol she has a stash somewhere but I’ll be damned if I can find it we are aiming for the “birthday fairy” to take them & she will get a extra special present but who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️ fingers crossed 🤞🏻

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMooMumma For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2-2.5 was when my kids were the most nagging/tantruming about wanting the dummy at non-sleep times. For both I sent the dummies off to the hospital for the new babies who need them, but it would have been closer to 3 as they didn't really understand this idea before then - they needed to be hitting the 'I'm a big kid' stage.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (13-06-2019),Yogis Mumma (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

My sister in law got rid of her daughter’s dummy just after 2 and had 3 rough nights then no more issues (supposedly) I’m not expecting it to be perfect but so hard to know when to rip off that bandaid!

Plus my little boy goes to daycare and I’m not sure how much comfort he gets from it there to sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped a bit after 2. I think whichever way, they need to be involved to somewhat own the choice to give it up rather than it just vanishing etc. My sister was pregnant at the time so we sort of played on that for a few days saying that dummies were needed for the little babies, just like the one in aunties tummy etc. Talked about it for a few days before we did it. It was pretty good. I hope to have the same success with our littlest one day. Good luck, I was super nervous but it worked out much better than I ever expected. You may be surprised

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HubbleBubble For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-06-2019)