+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What’s everyone’s experience with morphine?

So the time is almost here, I want to know if it’s worth taking the morphine and did it actually help with the contractions? I’ve spoken to three people who have had three different responses. I’ve had two natural labour’s and after the last one, I vowed never again. Is it better to cut straight to an epidural? Gas does nothing for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i had morphine after a cs and it made me feel really sleepy and out of it. dh was trying to talk to me and i just couldn’t focus on what he was saying nor really reply. i didn’t really like it. i can’t imagine it would be especially conducive to an active labour either, i imagine you’d just want to go to sleep. i laboured with my first and agree with you that i found the gas useless. just made me feel loopy but did nothing for the pain. i would just get an epidural if i were you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO (10-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you mean pethidine?

My experiences of epidurals have not been great - mainly because they don't work that well on me, potentially lengthened labour (because I was stuck lying down) and meant I couldn't feel what I was doing when it came time to push.

If you feel you do want one though, being your third child, I would ask as soon as you get to hospital. I found my third labour was very quick and DD was born within 30 minutes of me arriving at the hospital. I have heard urban myths that third labours can go either way - very quick and easy OR cause issues. Not sure how true it is though, but it certainly held true for me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO (10-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Morphine did nothing for me. I haven’t had an epidural (although not through lack of wanting) so can’t compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had 2 doses of morphine during my labour with DD. Helped take the edge off the contractions. I was able to then zen out completely and let my body do its thing. I then had an epidural at my drs request and it was fine. Although I did find once I’d had the epi I was way more aware of what was going on around me.

Morphine can be very useful in the earlier stages of labour. Morphine crosses the placenta and affects baby. If babe is still inutero, no drama. If baby is born soon after the morphine (usually within 4ish hrs), then they can be a bit flat at birth and need extra assistance (stimulation, breathing support etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I had 2 doses of morphine during my labour with DD. Helped take the edge off the contractions. I was able to then zen out completely and let my body do its thing. I then had an epidural at my drs request and it was fine. Although I did find once I’d had the epi I was way more aware of what was going on around me.

Morphine can be very useful in the earlier stages of labour. Morphine crosses the placenta and affects baby. If babe is still inutero, no drama. If baby is born soon after the morphine (usually within 4ish hrs), then they can be a bit flat at birth and need extra assistance (stimulation, breathing support etc).
    I didn't know this about morphine. DD1 would have been born a max 2 hours after I had some.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used gas and then morphine with my first. I ended up dizzy, disorientated etc. I don't remember every moment of my labour birth.

My second I used a birth pool and nothing else. The paid was the same however my recovery was far easier and I felt much better.

Third I didn't have time for anything other than the shower.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I used gas and then morphine with my first. I ended up dizzy, disorientated etc. I don't remember every moment of my labour birth.

My second I used a birth pool and nothing else. The paid was the same however my recovery was far easier and I felt much better.

Third I didn't have time for anything other than the shower.
    But by being dizzy and disoriented did it take away from the labour pains because I’ll take dizzy and disoriented over intense contractions haha at first the gas would work for me and left me abit out of it but I liked being out of it because it took the edge of the pain, wasn’t long before the pain was too strong for gas and no amount of turning it up could do anything. Is it the same kind of disoriented like gas or worse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MuMtORiLeYandLeO View Post
    But by being dizzy and disoriented did it take away from the labour pains because I’ll take dizzy and disoriented over intense contractions haha at first the gas would work for me and left me abit out of it but I liked being out of it because it took the edge of the pain, wasn’t long before the pain was too strong for gas and no amount of turning it up could do anything. Is it the same kind of disoriented like gas or worse?
    I didn't find it took away the edge. Everyone probably reacts differently but I was out of it even after birth for hours.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO (11-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, I’ve decided I won’t bother risking it with morphine and I’m going to get straight into the epidural. I used to be so brave but I don’t handle pain like I used to