+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you find OT useful?

My son is 4 1/2 years old and his Kindy has suggested OT for his lack of fine motor skills, social interaction isn’t the best (which we already knew about), always tired and he flops about and lays to the side when drawing. I’m wondering if anyone has found OT useful for their child? His Paediatrician said it could be useful for some behavioural problems and sensory issues too, which are better than last year but he’s still hard work to deal with at times! My son was born 6 weeks early, had a large arachnoid cyst (brain), which he had a shunt put in to drain. He’s been through a lot, including over 20 light general anaesthetics for MRIs of his brain, 3 lots of neurosurgery and recently had his adenoids out to help with sleeping. I think he also has a bit of anxiety, which is understandable. I want to help him but a GP told me to just be careful with the merry go round of OT. Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far 😂. I just wondered if you found OT useful for your child ? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our OT has been a god send!! She has worked so much magic for our little one!!! He has ASD our OT is our key worker on his team so he sees her for fine motor and sensory stuff!! She visits regularly and she has helped so much with suggesting strategies in class to keep him more focused, since starting school!! Our OT helped a little with social interaction but he sees a speech pathologist for that !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok great thanks! Good to know it’s helpful. If you don’t mind me asking, did you get funding? Apparently we need to pay a private OT because he’s Kindy age and the Women’s and Children’s Hospital can’t assist. I’ve contacted the Department of Education and they weren’t very helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We paid to see private speech while waiting for our NDIS funding, we had weekly visits I can’t recall how much it cost us. I know we had to make some sacrifices to allow it into our budget but the progress he made was well worth it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS has been seeing an OT for years on a fortnightly basis (we have NDIS funding) - we’ve received help in a number of areas (everything from toilet training to working on his hand strength and pencil grip).

I would definitely recommend giving it a go.