+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hcg tests

Hi all, just wanted to see how often you’ve all had your hcg tested in the early stages. I got my first one back yesterday at approx 4 weeks 2 days after an OI cycle. It was 551, which they said is quite high for this stage. The nurses said that now I don’t need to do anything until 7 week ultrasound. I’ve read so many posts of people getting repeat tests to see that it’s doubling. Not sure if I should be pushing for more tests or if this is normal when the first value is high. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats! That’s a great number!

Policies seem to be a bit mixed. Some clinics always do two tests. Some only do repeat tests if it’s a lower result.

If it would give you extra peace of mind you could always see your GP and get another test. HCG at this stage should roughly double over 48 hours.

Congrats!
    R

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had my HCG taken at 4+2 and the result was 244. Doctor said there was no need to do follow up bloods given the result sat within the right range 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Interestingly, my first pregnancy the doctor did do a follow up but never told me either result, as she said many women get so stuck on the number and “what should happen” and stress too much about it. She too emphasised the right range for predicted gestation was key.

I admit, I POAS until about a week ago because the lack of follow up wasn’t reassuring!

I have my ultrasound at 7+6 tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a similar result to you about 570 from memory and I still had the second test as per my FS. The number itself as long as it isn’t super low doesn’t tell you much because there is so much variation but the doubling is important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For both of my pregnancies I have only had one HCG test

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes i agree, one number in itself doesnt tell you anything much. Obviously high is good and within range is good but its the doubling that tells you the oregnancy is progressing as it should and helps rule out things like ectopic. Id definitely ask for a second test and if that gp refuses, go to another one at a different clinic, pretend you havent had a blood test at all and get a referral for bloods from them. ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I might go see my gp this week and ask for her for another request form. I’ll just continue my obsession with home tests in the meantime for a little peace of mind.
    Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kjr88 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I conceived through IUI and at the beginning my clinic said I could come in for bloods as often as I wanted to reassure myself. I ended up going twice a week until first scan at 6 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had 4 pregnancies...

My first was a miscarriage, they only did one lot of bloods, but because I was 6 weeks when i found out, and should have been 8 weeks when things went bad we went straight to a scan but it wasn't great news.

My next pregnancy I asked for second bloods but the gp told me they only order them if you're bleeding, and I didn't want to lie about that as I felt it would have been tempting fate.

Same gp for third pregnancy so i didn't bother asking.

My last pregnancy I had a different gp, I didn't bother asking for a second lot of bloods, but even right up until i was walking to theatre for my csection 3 weeks ago I still didn't believe I was pregnant!

Each time, especially the last 2 pregnancies, I tested daily with FRER, then every few days to watch the line progressively darken, then I also did the clear blue digitals.... to watch the numbers for the conception indicator tick over. I figured darkening lines and seeing it tick from 1-2, to 2-3, to 3+ reassured me that the pregnancies/hcg levels were progressing the right way

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hcg tests

I had one at 4+2 through my fertility clinic as I did IVF. I think it was approx 280 (I’ve forgotten!) but they didn’t want a repeat as they said everything looked perfect. Then I went for the scan at 8 weeks.

During that time I did POAS a couple of times and the line kept getting darker.

It felt like a long wait but all worked out.

Good luck!