+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default what contraceptives do you use and why?

argh so this has been a bit of an ongoing issue for a while but it’s always just been on the back burner. dh and i have never used any method of contraceptives unless you count withdrawal method. i’ve never fallen pregnant this way with him. so for us it’s been reasonably reliable, but i know now that we’ve both sort of agreed we are done, that’s when bad luck/accidents happen. i would really prefer not to be in a situation where i’m facing a termination. or the pressure of a third child, possibly unwanted and unplanned. my current status on another baby is never say never. so i’m probably 90-95% certain i’m done, but not ready to close the gates forever.

just had my 6 week check up with the ob and most of the visit centered around this topic. i’m basically at the i don’t know point as none of the available options really appeal.

i’m against hormone-based methods, which eliminates the pill/mini pill, implanon and mirena.

copper iud was mentioned but i’m squeamish at the idea of it being inserted and the potential for heavier/painful periods is off putting.

condoms remind me of being a teenager plus they’re a hassle.

she mentioned the billings method which is basically following your cycle isn’t it? or is that the one where you chart your bbt? anyway she said i could do that and just use a condom for sex during the fertile time. it sounds like a lot of work though and margin for error is high.

i’m not getting my tubes tied (she gave me the option before dd’s birth and i declined as it just felt too final). dh is not keen for a vasectomy and tbh, it feels too final anyway.

so yeah. aside from abstaining, it doesn’t leave much to go with.

my reasons for steering away from hormone based methods are that a) i don’t really feel like i should be having to put my body through more after 2 x kids (including pegnancy, two rounds of abdominal surgery to birth them plus bf). like, i feel like it’s my prerogative now to say i’m done. and b) i’m worried about potential physical ramifications and impact on my moods etc. i’m a pretty moody person and i don’t want to be in a position where i’m thinking is this really me or is this the mirena making me feel like this.

please help as i’m pretty confused!! any feedback or ideas or personal stories will be very helpful! thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also don't want to take the pill or have any of the other things implanted. I just don't want to put any of that stuff in my body.

We use condoms, yeah it does sometimes get annoying in the moment but I would rather that than get pregnant. I would like dh to get a vasectomy but he doesn't want to.

With my cycle I have virtually no chance of getting pregnant anyway but just want to make sure there are no surprises.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take the pill for cycle control. DP has had vasectomy (years before I met him).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I take the mini pill. Have been on it for a number of years now. Prior to this, I used a regular contraceptive pill. Seems to agree with me and I've never had an unplanned pregnancy.

Both the Mirena and Implanon have been suggested to me as an alternative, but I don't think I'll go down that road when the mini pill is doing the job.

If it ever failed me and I fell pregnant, I would just accept that I was having another baby later in life and roll with it. If I was in a position where an unwanted pregnancy would lead to a termination, I'd go on something more solid than the mini pill.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel the same way about hormone contraception - plus it messes with my health.

Condoms! I actually prefer them now as it’s easy clean up (tmi lol) to me not using condoms is more of a hassle. & the thin ones are pretty good.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJane13 For This Useful Post:

Shellosaurus (06-06-2019),turquoisecoast (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Right there with you. Haven't used contraception since trying for DD1. I just can't bring myself to do it. I do know my body pretty well though and have only ovulated naturally once.

The only one I was considering was copper iud but the horror stories of them migrating have put me off.

I track my cycle and do bbt.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a mirena and think it’s great. I had horrible periods and really needed something to get that under control. I like not having to take a pill each day. DH has azoospermia, so our chance of falling naturally is pretty much zero anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I realise you said you don’t want to try contraceptive pills but the mini pill if you’re breastfeeding could be pretty mild with symptoms. I think it would be worth a try.
    It’s not likely to have a huge impact on hormones.
    If you’re bottle feeding low level estrogen pills could be worth a try?

I had a majorly messed up cycle after ending breastfeeding my last baby. I tried to persevere for 18 mths. I take a low estrogen pill and no more psychotic pms or painful heavy periods.
    I much rather not have to use it but it isn’t always terrible and I think they have proven it doesn’t affect fertility? Unsure though.

I read they are making a man pill?? Is this out yet?

I think the pills get a bad rep because you do have to put up with some symptoms while you adjust. I had a few months of bloating and random nausea but it was better than bleeding for 5 weeks out of 8. After that no symptoms at all.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (06-06-2019),turquoisecoast (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh.. i m in the same boat. 9o% done. And i cant usually fall pregnant while i m breastfeeding on demand.
    Not keen on pill, or anything done to my body. Dh is keen on vasectomy but it feels too final and I m not ready yet.
    So leaves us with pull out and condoms which are a hassle..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirena89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got the implanon in before I left hospital this time.... i know you said it's not an option for you, and I respect that.

But my reasoning for me getting it:
    Like you, tubal litigation seems so final. Df is against a vasectomy. Again, because of my reservations for a TL I respect his for a vasectomy.
    The pill now disagrees with me. I used to be fine but after ds1, I bled more often than I didn't. (10-14 day cycles with 5-7 days of flow 🤦‍♀️)... and I felt after ds2 I'd probably forget to take it anyway.
    The thought of any IUD scared me.
    I heard so many bad things about the depo shot.
    Abstinence isn't likely and condoms are unappealing.

I liked the idea of a set and forget option. The ob after ds2 assured me it was a good option given my other hesitations.... she said some women are lucky and get no period.... some notice no change, and some unlucky ones get messed up cycles.... and that your fertility returns instantly after removal.

I was a VERYYYY lucky one after ds2... I didn't get a period until 2y8m after it was put in.... and clearly my fertility returned quickly because I had it removed about the 26th may last year....fell pregnant, had bub , and got another one inserted less than 12 months later on the 20th may this year

I hope I'm as lucky this time around (with regards to the no period.)

I'm 98-99% sure I'm done. But the smallest % of me wants a girl..... logic tells me I can't guarantee it, and after such a long csection it's probably not ideal I go back again.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 06-06-2019 at 19:05.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post: