+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Qld trip recommendations please

Hey everyone!

So we are planning a trip away in August. We will be going to The Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. A week or so split between the 2.

What are you recommendations? We want to go to Australia Zoo so that’s set. We just can’t decide what else, the ideas of Dreamworld, SeaWorld and Aussieworld came up but we aren’t sure.
    It will be Df, myself and DS. DS is 5 and between 110cm and 115cm or so. He’s not overly adventurous so things that seem a little scary (hates heights) will be kind of wasted on him.

Please help us xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Hey everyone!

So we are planning a trip away in August. We will be going to The Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. A week or so split between the 2.

What are you recommendations? We want to go to Australia Zoo so that’s set. We just can’t decide what else, the ideas of Dreamworld, SeaWorld and Aussieworld came up but we aren’t sure.
    It will be Df, myself and DS. DS is 5 and between 110cm and 115cm or so. He’s not overly adventurous so things that seem a little scary (hates heights) will be kind of wasted on him.

Please help us xx
    I would recommend Mooloolaba especially if you’re going to Aus Zoo. You could also check out Underwater World while you are there. There’s Movie World on the GC as well, not heaps of rides for that age but DD always enjoyed the parade and a few rides (we have annual passes as we live 5 min from there). If you like zoos Currumbin Sanctuary is nice too. Paradise Country is good too, you could combine with Movie World.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (24-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Movie World. It is fabulous. The characters, parades plus great rides. Sea World too. They have Nickolodean ride area plus polar bears, dolphin show and seal show. Look at Groupon or for online deals for a 3 day combo pass or something like that if you decide to go to the theme parks. Have a great time!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (24-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will you have a car?

If yes, I would recommend driving to the hinterland of the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast. Nice scenery and rainforest walks. You may like Lamington National Park or Mount Tamborine on the Gold Coast or Montville / Maleny on the Sunshine Coast.

In terms of theme parks, I prefer Dreamworld for smaller kids as I think there is more for them there. However, you can get combined park passes for Seaworld / Movieworld / Wet n Wild so may find it better value.

ETA my sister recently took her kids to Maleny bird park and they really liked it - https://www.malenybotanicgardens.com.au/

ETA ETA I'm pretty sure there is still a Sizzler on the gold coast. Your DS may like going there for dinner one night? That is if you like Sizzler. They have mostly closed down in Brisbane, and I miss it sometimes.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 24-05-2019 at 19:38.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (24-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have annual passes to Dreamworld and I’m a fan. Mostly because it has the most to offer little kids. 5yo would have the Dreamworks kids section - Kung fu panda/Madagascar/Shrek. Plus there’s the log ride, model t ford cars, tiger island, corroboree section (native animals/indigenous culture) and depending on time of year/weather, you can get joint entry with white water world. There are other rides of course but you’d be better off looking at their website for more info.

I haven’t been to movie world for ages so I’m not sure what they’d have for a 5 yo but there’s the shows/parades etc at the very least. The bonus with movie world is that it’s the same group with SeaWorld, paradise country (never been there so no idea what that is) and Wet n Wild. Outback Spectacular might be a fun night out. At the very least, the food is good haha. We went to SeaWorld a few weeks ago and I wasn’t all that wowed. I was 12 last time I went and had great memories. This time DH and I left pretty disappointed considering the cost. I think staff walking around with “Village Roadshow Entertainment” shirts on really put us off. If you’re wanting more educational stuff, then Sealife at Mooloolaba (formerly underwater world) is WAY better. SeaWorld is definitely targeted towards tourists. Considering they’re supposed to be all about marine animal rescue/rehabilitation programs, we saw nothing of that kind except for one tiny enclosure with some seabirds being rehabilitated. Granted we didn’t see all the shows, but it actually felt quite tacky.

I’ve heard Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is really good these days - I haven’t been since I was a kid though.

Sunshine Coast, I second Mooloolaba. You’re close then to SeaLife. The beach is nice and always seems good for kids whenever we’ve been up. Just don’t book for when they have a surf carnival on haha. Noosa is also a lovely beach for kids, but another hour or so further north. Australia zoo is only 20-30 min from Mooloolaba. If you have a car, a drive up into the hinterland is nice through Maleny/Montville. The Maleny dairy is a fun little farm experience too which your DS might enjoy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (24-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    If yes, I would recommend driving to the hinterland of the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast. Nice scenery and rainforest walks. You may like Lamington National Park or Mount Tamborine on the Gold Coast or Montville / Maleny on the Sunshine Coast.

[/URL]
    The hinterland is beautiful. So, so beautiful.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (24-05-2019),Tahli (24-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone! So helpful hearing from people who go there regularly. I haven’t been to dreamworld since I was in high school so we are talking over 10 years, DF has never been there. He is concerned by price and worried DS won’t get to enjoy it as much as he would if he were older but I think it’s pretty good for kids for what I remember.

We will have a car so there’s no issue for getting around DF will be playing golf on the Gold Coast one morning or arvo so even smaller activities would be great. I know there’s a ripleys up there? Is that any good? Never been before. We will be joining the tourist group but not wanting all the touristy things that people would do. Will be our first family holiday we do without seeing and staying with family.

Oh sizzler! 🤤 yuuuuum! I am all for that! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sizzler on the Gold Coast is mermaid beach way below broad beach.

I always stay Coolangatta or Labrador away from the riff Raff. Lots of really good play grounds on the beach front. Best ones are up Labrador way on the spit.

Only park we did was SeaWorld for ds1 bday. Cost wise it was $95 for each adult and kids where $79. The multi park passes for movie world, SeaWorld and wet n wild is $129 used on 3 consecutive days or $149 used over 7 days. There was no lines at all for us last week so it was really good just walking through and going straight on.

Sunshine Coast Mooloolaba all the way. More relaxed I feel and if your df wants to do a jet ski tour they are really close by. A lot of fun aswell. Go karts aren’t far from Australia zoo either which again is a must.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Thanks so much everyone! So helpful hearing from people who go there regularly. I haven’t been to dreamworld since I was in high school so we are talking over 10 years, DF has never been there. He is concerned by price and worried DS won’t get to enjoy it as much as he would if he were older but I think it’s pretty good for kids for what I remember.

We will have a car so there’s no issue for getting around DF will be playing golf on the Gold Coast one morning or arvo so even smaller activities would be great. I know there’s a ripleys up there? Is that any good? Never been before. We will be joining the tourist group but not wanting all the touristy things that people would do. Will be our first family holiday we do without seeing and staying with family.

Oh sizzler! 🤤 yuuuuum! I am all for that! Thanks!
    There is a Ripleys in Surfers. I’ve only ever walked past though.
    You could do Paradise Country as a half day.
    There is Sizzler in Mermaid or Loganholme (half way Brisbane to Gold Coast). Love Sizzler 🤣 When our relatives from down south come to visit we always do a Sizzler trip 👍
    A short little trip might be to a cafe like Historic Rivermill. That’s a gorgeous location. Or Tamborine, we live at the bottom of Tamborine. Some beautiful views up there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes there is a Ripley in the main part of Cavill. It is good. Plus there is a Pancakes on the Rocks very close to it that is nice too. It is all in the outdoor mall area. The last time we were there there was a guy in the mall with big motorised ride on animals for $10 a ride. Eg: tigers, lions. So much fun.