+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any Mums out there who have both c-sections and natural?

Hi all!

I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant with twins
    (numbers 4 and 5). My 3 previous pregnancies were great, and I had 3 awesome, problem free labours.
    I'm stressing about this time around though, about whether I want to try and have my twins naturally or save myself the stress and opt for the C-section. (Something I never thought I'd say as the thought of a Csection was what got me through 3 drug free births previously).
    Obviously its too early to tell if I'll NEED one yet, but I just wanted to hear from those of you who have experienced both, as all I can find on google are articles on statistics etc, and not actual personal experiences.

What was your healing time after a Csection? What did you find the pros and cons of natural vs Csection? How did they compare?
    Plus any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie41 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey @Frankie41 I’d had 10 natural vaginally births before I got pregnant with the twins, csection pretty much wasn’t mentioned to me at all, they just expected a vaginal birth which I was obviously cool with, had all the risks explained to me about twin b ext, but still was told my chance of a successful vaginal birth was right up there, wasn’t keen in the epidural that was mandatory and also not keen on induction but that was the way my hospital did it unless I went into spontaneous labour, by 38 wks, which of course I didn’t as my body loves being pregnant. So roll on birth day and induction done very slowly because of the amount of births I’d had, 9 hrs later and a balls up with the epidural cause I didn’t know how to use one any way it came time to push, I found that really hard because I was used to feeling everything, pushed for an hour and nothing, I told the drs that nothing was happening, I know how to push a baby out and what it feels like coming down, but there was just nothing, asked to have csection, was told I could keep pushing as babies were happy, but I was shattered, went of emergency section due to second stage not progressing, baby a ended up by being a difficult delivery because of the way she was positioned, turns out I would never have delivered vaginally, wished they’d picked that up before going through all of that so my recovery wasn’t very good, very sore, took ages for me to be able to stand upright properly and a full 6 wks before I could drive.
    Roll on next pregnancy, was expected to have a vbac, but I had to go into spontaneous labour by 38 weeks, new that wouldn’t happen because I’ve never done that, so sue second csection, planned, amazing recovery, kept on top of meds for the first 24 hrs after, (didn’t know to do this after the first so they took the iv drugs away quickly, as I’d ended up by needed to be sedated as well with the first one, so was still very groggy the next day) back driving within 3-4 wks and a much better recovery.
    i would say if you want to give vaginal a go and you have had good births previously then go for it, especially if they both end up being head down, odds are you’ll have a great birth but, keep an open minds, the only thing I found a real pain is my milk took longer to come in, 5 days instead of the usually 3, oh and if you choose csection or end up with one, don’t let them ouch you out the door, my hospital expects csection mums to go home on day 3 but I stayed until day 5 both times. Not sure if I’ve helped at all

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Frankie41 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i can’t comment on a vaginal delivery but i’ve had 2 c sections, first was emergency and second elective. way better recovery second time around, much less pain and was doing things much faster. both times i was back driving in the 2-3 week mark but second time was much less pain. i felt almost back to normal. keeping on the pain meds is important, i quit them too early first time and it makes a difference.

elective birth was much calmer and more relaxed, i was well rested and it wasn’t 4am when everyone is tired and over it. i felt much more connected to the birth and seeing baby’s face pop up over the curtain was a beautiful experience. i know it’s still surgery but you can have a beautiful birth experience with a c section too.

not sure if i’ve really helped on the vaginal birth side but that’s my experience of emergency versus elective cs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Frankie41 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I had 2 natural births then a c-section. My first was an induction and I had one shot of pethidine. I had a few stitches and I think a second degree year. She was 4.11kg.

My son (second baby) was 4.85kg and I had a drug and intervention free birth and no stitches or tearing.

My third was a c-section and the recovery was awful compared to my other births but it could be because it was an emergency as my youngest was not head down and I was 5cm dilated. They had to take me into theatre straight away and my husband never made it for the birth as he was at work on the other side of Sydney.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Frankie41 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I had 100% spontaneous natural first baby with a severe tear.
    Then had elective cs with second . Went into labour 2 days before day though.
    The pain for the first 36 hours was awful. But then was able to stop all pain meds at 2 weeks.
    Total pain 8 weeks
    I’d take natural labour and birth any day over cs.
    Natural labour pain was way easier. Able to walk without vaginal soreness day 3-4

Cs pain was 8 weeks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Frankie41 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/w...c0d6e4-mFJ1g2h

Page 7 , 8 and 9 explain birth timing and how and why . This is SA health though

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Frankie41 (23-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have had 1 vaginal birth and 2 c/s. My VB was about 6 weeks recovery (tearing and infections). My 1st c/s was my easiest recovery by far (even over the VB). I was up and about the next day and felt pretty good by 2-3 weeks post partum. My 2nd c/s was a nightmare and about 3 months recovery, infections and complications. BUT it was always going to be a complicated c/s due to the pregnancy issues and my own health issues, so my experience was likely a rarity rather than the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a natural birth first and then an elective c section because I was petrified of giving birth again (no big complications, just a long labour with a nasty midwife and vacuum assistance). C section was much more calm. It def hurt, and getting up the next day was very painful but I didn’t feel it took me too long to recover. I was driving again after 2 weeks. The worst thing is not being able to carry things, including my nearly 3 y.o. Beat advice I was given was to get up as soon as they say and stand up straight not to crouch all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Natural first, eipidural, placenta abruption, forceps and episiotomy. Second was an emergency c-section due to breech, 7cm dialated and no obstetrician freaked me out but one finally arrived. Csection was harder to recover from in terms of driving and movement, some movements were hard after natural but different somehow. I struggled more to recover from the csection but I don’t know if having a toddler would have made even the natural hard if I had been able to have one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had an emergency c-section first and vagina delivery second. #1 it wasn’t so bad because I didn’t have any other children to worry about, I could take my time to recover. I did struggle with simple things like bending to pick something up off the floor for about a week (had to get hubby to come into the toilet to pick up my used, blood filled pad off the floor 🤦‍♀️) however my pain was very manageable. I don’t think I had any pain killers after 48 hours.

Second time around I was determined to have a VBAC as I didn’t want to have to take it easy for up to 6 weeks with another child at home (the no heavy lifting was the issue as she was 4 and I didn’t want to not be allowed to lift her). I was successful with the VBAC and I felt amazing afterwards. I was ready to leave within hours of Roth but unfortunately jaundice kept us in there longer than I was in following my c-section! I could go home and parent my oldest right away without the tender belly wound which was really helpful.