+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Deciding to transfer 2 embryos

Hi ladies! I’m not quite sure why I’m posting this? Maybe because I don’t know anyone else personally who has thought about this...mainly because I don’t know anyone personally who’s been through multiple ivf cycles (just this supportive network of girls!)...

DH and I are both 28 and up to our 11th cycle, 9th transfer (5 fresh, 6 frozen- 1 baby, 2 miscarriages, 1 ectopic, 2 chemicals). Our DS is a result of our 5th transfer.

I’ve reached a point emotionally, physically, financially where I want to transfer two embryos in my next transfer. It’s been on my mind for a while, the pros, the risks and DH and I keep going back and forth. We’re currently waiting to hear whether my clinics medical director will approve it. Kind of irritates me that it comes down to him...I feel like it should be a collaborative decision made between patient and doctor. So we’ll see what he says.

For those of you who thought about it...did you end up transferring two? How easy was it to get approval from your clinic? What was your outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Hopeful137. I didn’t have a problem getting my clinic to approve a double transfer, prob because of my age and repeated failed history. I did it twice, two different clinics and protocols. My first double transfer was a medicated FET resulting in long drawn out chemical. I don’t know if it was a blighted ovum as they wouldn’t do a scan, it was a terrible time, my HCG would go up and up but never enough to result in a viable pregnancy. My last transfer was a fresh double, I’m currently pregnant with a singleton - induction in two days time. Wish you all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by augieandaddie View Post
    Hi @Hopeful137. I didn’t have a problem getting my clinic to approve a double transfer, prob because of my age and repeated failed history. I did it twice, two different clinics and protocols. My first double transfer was a medicated FET resulting in long drawn out chemical. I don’t know if it was a blighted ovum as they wouldn’t do a scan, it was a terrible time, my HCG would go up and up but never enough to result in a viable pregnancy. My last transfer was a fresh double, I’m currently pregnant with a singleton - induction in two days time. Wish you all the best.
    Thanks for your reply! And congrats on your pregnancy! I hope the induction goes really well ❤️

Surprisingly my clinic have agreed to the double transfer! Eeek

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful137 For This Useful Post:

augieandaddie (22-05-2019),Risa78 (22-05-2019),SJ565 (22-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m a bit late to this thread, but I’m glad your clinic approved you.
    Just really offering support and reporting that I had a long IVF history and decided on a last ditch 2 embryo transfer and am now the proud mother of healthy twin boys. The clinic were not happy - I know they actively avoid multiple pregnancies but I couldn’t be happier!
    All the best.
    Last edited by Circes; 22-05-2019 at 18:14. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have done 10 fresh cycles probably 18 transfers (my embryos rarely make it to the freezer. We had a stillbirth and our DD both from fresh transfers no other pregnancies.

We did our final cycle in December and had loosely discussed transferring 2 but knew it would be unlikely due to my age (31). Anyway on transfer day our FS said “should we put 2 in” I agreed and am now 25 weeks with twins.

My advice would be think about how you will manage with 3 kids, will you need a bigger car? Can you afford it long term (I’ve been looking at schools eek)? How will you cope emotionally and physically? Are you prepared for a complicated pregnancy (extra scans/appointments)? Possible early delivery and time in NICU.

I know these are all just maybes but as someone who is currently living it I think it is worth pointing out. Also remember a double transfer doesn’t improve your chances but hugely increases the chance of twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the clinic’s defence, in most states they are actually monitored on their rate of multiples. If it gets too high they get in trouble. So that explains why the director had to make the call.

Glad you got approved though OP. Best of luck

R

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Circes View Post
    I’m a bit late to this thread, but I’m glad your clinic approved you.
    Just really offering support and reporting that I had a long IVF history and decided on a last ditch 2 embryo transfer and am now the proud mother of healthy twin boys. The clinic were not happy - I know they actively avoid multiple pregnancies but I couldn’t be happier!
    All the best.
    That’s lovely to hear! Congratulations ❤️❤️ And thank you for your support

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    We have done 10 fresh cycles probably 18 transfers (my embryos rarely make it to the freezer. We had a stillbirth and our DD both from fresh transfers no other pregnancies.

We did our final cycle in December and had loosely discussed transferring 2 but knew it would be unlikely due to my age (31). Anyway on transfer day our FS said “should we put 2 in” I agreed and am now 25 weeks with twins.

My advice would be think about how you will manage with 3 kids, will you need a bigger car? Can you afford it long term (I’ve been looking at schools eek)? How will you cope emotionally and physically? Are you prepared for a complicated pregnancy (extra scans/appointments)? Possible early delivery and time in NICU.

I know these are all just maybes but as someone who is currently living it I think it is worth pointing out. Also remember a double transfer doesn’t improve your chances but hugely increases the chance of twins.
    Thanks so much for your reply. Congrats on your pregnancy, I hope it goes really smoothly. It is a hard decision to make since it only slightly increases chances of pregnancy but it’s one thing we haven’t tried 🤷🏼‍♀️ All of your questions are the ones that have been whizzing around my head too! The whole ivf journey is a mine field of what ifs and big decisions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa78 View Post
    In the clinic’s defence, in most states they are actually monitored on their rate of multiples. If it gets too high they get in trouble. So that explains why the director had to make the call.

Glad you got approved though OP. Best of luck

R
    Yeah I completely understand that he has to be the one to make the call at the end of the day, I just feel it should be a discussion between the patient and director too

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful137 hello! How are you going? So I think it depends on your clinic and FS. Once I switched to a better FS she just looked at my history and said ‘I recommend we transfer two each time, it saves you money and gives you a higher chance of success per cycle’. It never worked for us because our miracle came via IUI but I always felt comfortable with the decision. I am guessing your situation will be different with having one little one already, the likelihood of twins is something that I’m sure you would need to think about carefully. Best of luck with your decision xx