+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default CVS at 12 Weeks

I will need to have a CVS test at 12 weeks and im petrified not only for the test but the results and the risk of miscarriage. Can anyone share there experiences with the CVS test. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SamTice91 View Post
    I will need to have a CVS test at 12 weeks and im petrified not only for the test but the results and the risk of miscarriage. Can anyone share there experiences with the CVS test. Thanks
    Yes I have. My risk after the NT scan at 12 weeks was 1:2 so I had a CVS the next day. It was fine - painless and quick, no problems afterwards. The risk of miscarriage is lower in reality where you are having it done by an experienced Dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a transcervical CVS when I was pregnant with my DS - it was a little uncomfortable (like a pap smear), but it wasn't painful or traumatic.

Agree with the previous poster - the odds of miscarriage are lower when you have a very experienced doctor performing the procedure.

If I had my time again, now that I'm older and wiser, I wouldn't go through with a CVS. My NT results were 1:110 for Down Syndrome, and at the time I was told this was 'high risk' and encouraged to have further testing (the CVS). Being my first pregnancy, I thought it was necessary. When I reflect on it, the reality was that there was less than 1% chance that my baby had Down Syndrome.

Sorry you are facing this - it's a stressful and upsetting time when you are in limbo, not knowing if there is anything to be concerned about or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one at 13 weeks with my first due to our risk factor being 1:5 based on ultrasound alone. As stated above, the risk is far less depending on who does the procedure. Eg. The dr who had done mine, had no patients result in miscarriage to date, so we were confident the chance was even lower than 1% which are pretty damn good odds.

I had a local and then the long needle, guided by ultrasound. It was uncomfortable but I wouldn’t say painful. Just an unusual feeling knowing and feeling a long needle go that deep. You need to stay still. Wriggling my toes helped and I had DH sitting at my head cuddling me too which helped me stay calm and less likely to move too.

It’s terrifying isn’t it. I’m sorry you’re having to face this. I don’t wish it on anyone.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sorry you're in this stressful position, I hope things will work out well.

The risk involved will differ based on the experience of the doctor or hospital you're with. You're entitled to ask exactly how many CVS procedures the doctor has done, and his/her rate of resulting complications or losses.

The risk level will also be affected by the position of your placenta, how tricky it is for them to guide the needle safely to the placenta, so you could ask about that. After you've had it done they will most likely give you advice on taking it easy, particularly for the first couple of days.

I had one with a previous pregnancy at 14.5 weeks, after being assessed as "medium risk", 1:480. Unfortunately I was that 1, the odds of that were obviously tiny, but someone is always that 1. Also be aware that CVS do have a very low but existent false positive rate, about 1-2 percent. After my CVS results came back bad I also had an amnio confirm the bad news at 15.5. Amnio is more reliable, but can only be done from about 15 weeks onwards (unless something has changed in the last couple of years).

The vast majority of the time the results are good and will give you peace of mind - best of luck xo
    Last edited by Kalina; 22-05-2019 at 14:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slightly different, but I had amniocentesis at 16w (as I wanted the surety that came with amnio over CVS). The actual procedure was ok, even though they had to do the needle puncture twice- bub put himself directly under the needle.
    My risk going in for the Trisomy was 80% based on NIPT, and it was confirmed on the amniocentesis.
    We had already seen the genetic counsellor by the time we had the amnio. I found this appointment to be really helpful- have you seen or spoken with a genetic counsellor yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    Slightly different, but I had amniocentesis at 16w (as I wanted the surety that came with amnio over CVS). The actual procedure was ok, even though they had to do the needle puncture twice- bub put himself directly under the needle.
    My risk going in for the Trisomy was 80% based on NIPT, and it was confirmed on the amniocentesis.
    We had already seen the genetic counsellor by the time we had the amnio. I found this appointment to be really helpful- have you seen or spoken with a genetic counsellor yet?
    I second the genetics counsellor recommendation. Really helpful to understand it all. There should be one available where you are having the procedure

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have seen a genetic counsellor we just found out my son has Fragile x and im a carrier so its 50/50 chance this baby will have it too and we are devastated. We do not conceive easily and its been a struggle so the fact we are possibly facing termination is heart breaking. Please no judgment on termination it is not an easy decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have seen a genetic counsellor we just found out my son has Fragile x and im a carrier so its 50/50 chance this baby will have it too and we are devastated. We do not conceive easily and its been a struggle so the fact we are possibly facing termination is heart breaking. Please no judgment on termination it is not an easy decision
    No judgement here - I really feel for you being in this position. I hope the CVS comes back clear, I have everything crossed for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so very sorry you are facing this. Sending you strength to get through while you wait for the results and beyond, and hope that the results will be good.

xoxo