+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default bub falling asleep my chest

firstly apologies for the recent spate of threads from me....i feel like such a newbie despite dd being my second

so i’ve been bf dd at night and often put her on my chest to burp her after a feed. sometimes we both fall asleep like this, other times i try and put her back in the bassinet but she fusses and won’t settle and so i end up holding her and we both fall asleep. it’s not for long, and i’m pretty much semi upright (i’m propped up on pillows plus use my body pillow as additional support).

my concern is, this doesn’t seem overly safe? i’m finding i’m more tired and just close my eyes for a few minutes then wake up 30 mins - an hour later. dd is always in the same position and she’s fine, but i’m so paranoid either i’ll drop her or she’ll stop breathing while she’s on me.

how do i get around this? did anyone do this? i don’t like the idea of her sleeping in bed with me as i’m terrified i’ll roll onto her or she’ll get covers over her face or something. but this business of her on her tummy on my chest doesn’t seem overly great either. i’m just trying to find a way we can both get some rest....she doesn’t always settle in the bassinet.

thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Starfish30 (21-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found the same thing with my second. I’d wake up and think it was only 5 minutes and it was a lot longer.

I ended up co-sleeping for the first 5 months. It wasn’t ideal but we both needed sleep and she just wouldn’t settle unless she was next to me. I just made sure I did it safely - DD was on the outside of the bed and I didn’t use blankets or anything.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but I do think a conscious decision to do it safely is better than falling asleep accidentally.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (20-05-2019),SSecret Squirrel (20-05-2019),turquoisecoast (20-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    thanks. yeah i’ve never been comfortable with the idea of co sleeping with a baby. i’ve only just felt “safe” doing it with ds and he’s a strapping 3 year old

i just find i’m more tired and there’s less opportunity for rest with a busy toddler around and so i’m taking what i can get at night...i’m not happy about it but not sure what else to do. i have her on the outside of the covers and my arms are around her. but i know it’s a risk still and i would prefer her on her back in her bassinet. then i could sleep easier (in more ways than one!).

not sure if there’s a safer way to do this or i just need to be strict and put her in the bassinet and just deal with the grizzling/crying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After feeding kiddo at that age, most of the time he would only fall asleep if I was holding him or he was laying on my belly, so most nights I just let him lay on my belly with his head either to the right or left.
    I never thought about this from a safety perspective, but nothing ever happened.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (20-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD used to vomit if I didnt hold her upright for 30-45 mins after a feed, so it was pretty typical to find myself sitting up with her on my chest, her +/- me asleep, especially overnight.
    I used to be pretty much upright, with her face turned to the side, and gravity took care of the b00b issue. Normally, I was more concerned I'd drop her while asleep, rather than smothering her, due to how I was sitting.
    If you were quite worried, you could move to a less comfortable chair, or set a timer for 10 mins, in which time you might not fall into a deep sleep, but DD would.
    You could consult an expert, but my understanding was that the risk of falling asleep with them on your chest was greater if you were flat, and bubs couldn't lift their head tk breathe (not so hard for them if you and they are more upright), or if they got smothered by boob.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    DD used to vomit if I didnt hold her upright for 30-45 mins after a feed, so it was pretty typical to find myself sitting up with her on my chest, her +/- me asleep, especially overnight.
    I used to be pretty much upright, with her face turned to the side, and gravity took care of the b00b issue. Normally, I was more concerned I'd drop her while asleep, rather than smothering her, due to how I was sitting.
    If you were quite worried, you could move to a less comfortable chair, or set a timer for 10 mins, in which time you might not fall into a deep sleep, but DD would.
    You could consult an expert, but my understanding was that the risk of falling asleep with them on your chest was greater if you were flat, and bubs couldn't lift their head tk breathe (not so hard for them if you and they are more upright), or if they got smothered by boob.
    that makes sense and that’s what i thought. she’s upright and can move her head and there’s nothing she can really get smothered by. i am probably more concerned of dropping her. i’m pretty upright and so is she, just tummy down on my chest. i love the timer idea!

i was thinking i should come downstairs to feed her on the couch (it’s colder down here and less comfy therefore less likely i’ll fall
    asleep) plus i was thinking if i put something on tv to watch it would help me stay awake. i think i’m just really struggling with the night feeds this time (although who doesn’t lol) and i’m more tired this time around and just feel like i’m falling asleep way easier with her on me.

i’ll give the timer idea a go and might also try feeding downstairs, as painful as it’ll be
    leaving the comfort of bed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had feeding chair in our bedroom but after about a day, I just used to sit on the bed for overnight feeds. Too cold otherwise! I'm pretty sure I did A LOT of mindless internet scrolling waiting for the 30-45 mins to be up as well. Maybe I'll try a book on kindle this time around, or something on the iPad. I swear my FB/net addiction was largely fed by BFing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd was and still is exactly the same as your dd. I’ve found now that she’s older I perched myself sideways with pillows supporting my back and my feeding pillow my arm will be on then she is perked into that book while on my boob and I’m dozing

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what ive read and what midwives have told me, its much more dangerous to fall asleep holding baby semi upright than to co sleep. Cosleeping is safe if you follow the guidelines. There's lots if info online regarding safety guidelines for cosleeping. If baby does fall ir end up in a crevice etc... of the lounge it is dangerous. Much safer to sleep next to her lying down. If following co sleeping guidelines they say its actually safer to cosleep with breastfed babies than have them on their own sleeping surface.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (21-05-2019),Renn (20-05-2019),turquoisecoast (20-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Much safer to sleep laying down, in an intentionally set-up space.

Alternatively, you could feed her somewhere less comfortable.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post: